• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I feel so awful :(

ripminnie

Wise Old Thumper
Barney was so happy before he came here :cry: I am sure he has got the illness from Molly. And maybe it's because Molly is sick that she behaves so horribly, but it's just not fair on Barney, and it's all my fault :cry: he just wants to be with her, she goes and digs furiously in the litter tray in the other room, and he just goes and sits in the room while she's going crazy. Then he decides he wants to sit in the tray with her and have a munch, and she just growls and bites and digs until he's petrified and jumps out :cry: he's so lovely and loving. He deserves a bun who will love him back and not just turn on him :( I wish I'd never adopted Molly in the first place. And now everyone will slate me for that. But it was all so Olly wouldn't be lonely, and he actually is fine now, so it's all been totally pointless. And my life is ten times harder instead of easier. I'm exhausted.

I'm sure Barney is much happier with you in a forever home than he would have been in rescue, no matter how well he was kept at the rescue I'm sure he'd vote to be with you and Molly, even if she can be grumpy at times.

You've got so much on your plate at the moment, I'm sure everything will be much better once they are both well.

I'm so sorry your're having a hard time now, sending hugs xx

I'm sure Barney is much happier with you in a forever home than he would have been in rescue, no matter how well he was kept at the rescue I'm sure he'd vote to be with you and Molly, even if she can be grumpy at times.

You've got so much on your plate at the moment, I'm sure everything will be much better once they are both well.

I'm so sorry your're having a hard time now, sending hugs xx

Thank you xxx

I know you are stressed because Barney is unwell but he could have got the e coli from anywhere. None of us really know how things will turn out when we adopt a bunny. Look at Mr Bennett, we got him for Cutie-pie and the bond didn't work and he is single and he had a bad history of bonding so we ended up getting another companion for Cutie-pie. Both Mr B and CP have dental issues, which we expect and it has been stressful at times.

When they are both back to normal health you will feel so much more relaxed. You have done your very best by providing them with a loving caring home.

Thinking of you and sending (((((((Hugs)))))). You can't beat yourself up over this. It is exhausting any time our bunnies are ill and especially when it takes so long to find the cause and correct treatment. You gave both Barney and Molly and warm and loving home which is better for them by far than each being alone.
There's no doubt about it, keeping animals healthy is stressful from one day to the next. But you do love them and want the best for them, and you are doing your all to help them each feel better. This too shall pass. (((((((Vibes and prayers coming your way))))))) xxxx

It sounds as though Molly still has a lot of ear problems. This is NOT your fault, it's not her fault either. She is probably in some degree of pain most of the time, hence her 'attitude' problem. I have seen this type of situation so many times with Rabbits who have chronic otitis. Some become ultra submissive, some become total bullies. I believe chronic otitis may also cause tinnitus (ringing/buzzing in the ears) which, if you have ever experienced it, is more than a little annoying. I believe Rabbits also get 'headaches' when they have chronic ear disease.

Needless to say the words 'Rabbits' and 'Ear Infections' makes my blood run cold. Purely based on what I have seen over the last 10 or so years.

In all honesty I think you may need to consider separating them. I have always thought this may be what would happen, but I really do NOT mean to sound as though I am saying 'told you so'. It is just having been through such similar problems regarding cases of chronic otitis and all the less obvious issues it can cause I know that if a bond becomes fraught it is very unlikely to improve. Then both Rabbits start to pay the price in one way or another.

Again none of what is going on for Molly and Barney is your fault. It is simply a very unfortunate situation that can happen when one Rabbit has a chronic condition that causes behavioural 'symptoms' as well as the more obvious clinical ones.

Would alternating 'in enclosure'/free range time between the two of them be an option ? So one in/one out. They can interact with each other (or not) through the sides of the enclosure, but Molly wont be able to bully Barney.

Also, what treatment is Molly on for her ears now ? Has she had a skull Xray ? If she has a lot of debris in her ear canals this can cause lots of pressure/pain. It also often means that there is loads of pus behind the debris and until it is cleaned out no topical treatment (eg Canaural) will be of much benefit.

I totally understand how stressful all this must be for you. I really hope that this post will be read as I intend it to mean and not as me trying to say you are in any way to blame. You are most definitely NOT.

(((Hugs))) xx

Just adding my support for you at this difficult time. Everything you've done for the buns has been for good reasons - it's not your fault these problems have arisen. :wave:

Thank you so much for this post.

I feel a bit silly in that I hadn't really thought that Molly's ear problem could be more serious :( she doesn't seem overly bothered with them ie. She doesn't scratch much or shake her head like she used to. But you may be right. I am going to speak to the vet about possible X-rays etc. Certainly at the moment there is no way we could do anything to her at home - she is still traumatised after her canaural course, my OH can't even stroke her now, let alone get close enough to catch her :(

Separating them I still can't decide about. She doesn't bully him unless he gets in the litter tray while she's digging in it. She is then like a totally different bunny :? They spend all night cuddled up together (I have a bunny cam). So I really don't know! And I also don't know what to do about her going in for xrays etc - she will really struggle if Barney isn't with her - she is a very nervous bunny :( but I also don't want to stress Barney out and make his illness worse again. Too much to think about!

It sounds as though Molly still has a lot of ear problems. This is NOT your fault, it's not her fault either. She is probably in some degree of pain most of the time, hence her 'attitude' problem. I have seen this type of situation so many times with Rabbits who have chronic otitis. Some become ultra submissive, some become total bullies. I believe chronic otitis may also cause tinnitus (ringing/buzzing in the ears) which, if you have ever experienced it, is more than a little annoying. I believe Rabbits also get 'headaches' when they have chronic ear disease.

Needless to say the words 'Rabbits' and 'Ear Infections' makes my blood run cold. Purely based on what I have seen over the last 10 or so years.

In all honesty I think you may need to consider separating them. I have always thought this may be what would happen, but I really do NOT mean to sound as though I am saying 'told you so'. It is just having been through such similar problems regarding cases of chronic otitis and all the less obvious issues it can cause I know that if a bond becomes fraught it is very unlikely to improve. Then both Rabbits start to pay the price in one way or another.

Again none of what is going on for Molly and Barney is your fault. It is simply a very unfortunate situation that can happen when one Rabbit has a chronic condition that causes behavioural 'symptoms' as well as the more obvious clinical ones.

Would alternating 'in enclosure'/free range time between the two of them be an option ? So one in/one out. They can interact with each other (or not) through the sides of the enclosure, but Molly wont be able to bully Barney.

Also, what treatment is Molly on for her ears now ? Has she had a skull Xray ? If she has a lot of debris in her ear canals this can cause lots of pressure/pain. It also often means that there is loads of pus behind the debris and until it is cleaned out no topical treatment (eg Canaural) will be of much benefit.

I totally understand how stressful all this must be for you. I really hope that this post will be read as I intend it to mean and not as me trying to say you are in any way to blame. You are most definitely NOT.

(((Hugs))) xx

Back