• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Getting sisters spayed - stay together or separate?

xRoxiex

New Kit
Hi, we have 2 sisters who are about 8 months old, we're planning on getting them spayed soon... We've been ringing around vets but have been given different information regarding aftercare - can they stay together in the same cage following the op or will they need to be separated for 24-48hours after? They're very close bunnies - we had one out and one closed in the cage once for a few minutes and they were distraught... Don't want to separate them and put them through that stress if we don't need to... They don't really fight ever, just have a bit of a tiff sometimes when the non-dominant one doesn't want to be humped, but have never actually fought with each other...
One vet suggested they may eat each others wounds - has anyone heard of this happening?
Also, what are the chances of them becoming unbonded after the op? I guess there's more chance of that happening if they are separated?

I'm sure all of this has been answered before, I have tried to search through but just thought it would be easier to ask again...

Any help would be much appreciated :) I know they need to be spayed, but I'm just so worried about it!

Truffle and Fudge stayed together. They were even put back together at the vets before we picked them up and the vet told us the one who woke up first (can't remember which way around it was) was 'looking after' the other as she came around :love:

My 2 girls were spayed together and stayed together too, they never bothered each other's wounds and they were supporting each other :love:

Islay and Jura stayed together as well. Just have to watch for them grooming each others wounds. I'm sure mine helped each other though.

Thanks all, will keep them together but just keep an extra close eye on them... Gonna get them done on a Friday so I'll be able to stay with them the whole weekend!

Thanks for the tip :) How long after should I expect them to be eating as normal and when should I get worried if they're not?

Back