• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Worming- please help!

Bex0312

New Kit
Hi guys, I'm completely new here (first post) so please forgive me if this is under the wrong section.

I got my first bunny ever exactly a week ago today and am really still finding my feet when it comes to looking after him but so far so good- we are learning together!

As i had no clue whatsoever what I was doing, initially, I turned to the internet and discovered the importance of getting Luz vaccinated, wormed and eventually neutered. With this new information, I took him to the vet last Friday and got his vaccine and the vet also recommended a wormer which is covered by his insurance. They had messed up our appointment and so had to squeeze us in which meant that it was the vet nurse that showed me all about the wormer (I think its pancur?). She was lovely and made it look really easy, explaining about the gap between his front teeth and molars and to put the syringe in to there. When I got Luz home, it was all going great with the worming for all of about a day. He isn't daft and now he won't take it. Ive tried holding him down, wrapping him up, holding it near him so that when he takes interest and goes to chew it I can squirt it in (I had the most success with this) and I've tried putting it on his pellets but now, I have run out of ideas. I still have 3 more days to try and give him it, please can someone suggest a way that isn't going to completely stress him out!

Also, the vet nurse told me to give him 2 graduations a day which i have been doing for the last 6 days but today I properly read the leaflet, looking for an easier way to administer it, and realised that it says 1 graduation for every 2.5kg. He's only just 9 weeks and probably doesn't even weigh that so now I'm really worried about what I may have done to him!! What do you recommend? Please help!

Sorry about the long windedness of this and thank you for your responses xx

I think you ought to tell your Vet what has happened and personally I would not give him any more Panacur. Many people only worm their rabbits if there are signs of anything amiss. I hope he will be ok.

I think you ought to tell your Vet what has happened and personally I would not give him any more Panacur. Many people only worm their rabbits if there are signs of anything amiss. I hope he will be ok.
He's not showing signs of anything I would consider to not be normal behaviour but i will definitely keep a close eye on him and will be calling the vet tomorrow. Thank you for your help

Back