• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I nipped the quick!

Schtoffen

Mama Doe
While trimming Little's nails! :( To be fair there was precisely one drop of blood. Just one. But my god you think I'd pulled her ears off! I'm definitely in the dog house now....talk to the tail mummy!

While trimming Little's nails! :( To be fair there was precisely one drop of blood. Just one. But my god you think I'd pulled her ears off! I'm definitely in the dog house now....talk to the tail mummy!

Poor Little. I know it isn't funny, but 'talk to the tail' made me smile.

So easily done! Jasper (who is the spitting image of Little) is so jumpy that cutting his nails always leaves me in a panic

You'll not be the only one, I nipped the quick of one of my bridge buns :cry: she wriggled as I clipped, but she soon forgave me with some treats :thumb:

I've done this twice to Truffle as she is such a wriggler (theoretically the easiest one too being white).
I hope you are forgiven!

To be honest I always get at least one nail when I do the rounds of my 5 buns. It's like roulette for the poor bun it happens to!

I think there is a product called quick stop, not sure of the spelling, but I just put tissue or cotton wool on the nail and apply a little pressure til it stops

Don't worry about it, if there was only a drop of blood it can't of been bad at all, I've seen rabbits lose a lot more blood than that before when they've damaged a nail, and it's better than having to hop around on overgrown claws :) I love how rabbits show disapproval though, funny little things :lol: Personally I wouldn't mess about trying to put anything on the nail, just try keep them off grass/soil/bedding for a few minutes until the blood clots :)

Oh poor Little! A bum-shun is serious!!

It's easily done though. :)

At least you can clip her nails.

Hector sees me approaching with the clippers and he does his tortoise impression - all paws well and truly under the rest of his 9 kgs. :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've told this before, but I once took an entire nail down to the skin off Pip's back foot and it wasn't even the nail I was going for! She whipped her foot away and as I brought the clippers together another nail popped in through the slot and I couldn't stop... if you think that didn't just bleed and bleed...Lord, I thought we were in for a trip to the vet to have the whole foot amputated to stop the bleeding it was so bad. :(
I felt (and still do feel) terrible about it all. The nail never grew back in right, but it did eventually. She is VERY wary about me doing any maintenance on her as a result. Long memory, that one, it was years ago now. :?

Oh dear, I'm terrified of cutting my bunnies nails I'm so scared of hurting them :( so they tend not to cut a manicure very often :oops:

The impression I've got now of Little turning her back to you and going "talk to the tail mummy" is so funny though, sorry :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I nipped my bridge bun Tillys quick when I was trimming her nails once. Her previous owner never cut her nails so they and their quicks were horrendously long. It didn't bleed loads but I was in bits, I felt so guilty :cry:

She soon forgave me after a treat though :love:

I did this to Dizzi on Saturday and have been beside myself since! I feel soooo bad. :cry:

I'm not sure if she's fully forgiven me yet ....... she will accept treats off me but scoots off whenever I try to stroke her.

They still got me a Mothers Day Card yesterday though! lol :D

I've made mine bleed lots of times. I must have cut poor Rambo's way too short once as it bled and bled :shock:
Until recently they all had black claws, and even with two people and a torch it can be tricky. Mac has white claws and doing his is a joy :lol:

You were lucky, everytime I've nicked one they've bled like crazy. The joy of black nailed bunnies. I have a kwick stop on hand now just in case but have many a time ran around the kitchen looking for corn flour or flour if really stuck.

My vet did that to one of my rabbits recently .. I felt so sorry for the poor mite!

She used a styptic pencil to stop the bleeding, and then I bought one off her in case I nip the quick myself in the future xx

I did this to Dizzi on Saturday and have been beside myself since! I feel soooo bad. :cry:

I'm not sure if she's fully forgiven me yet ....... she will accept treats off me but scoots off whenever I try to stroke her.

They still got me a Mothers Day Card yesterday though! lol :D

:lol::lol::lol:

Back