• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Moving abroad (europe) with pets

Jesselle

Mama Doe
long story short, it's written into my future due to my oh's job that one day we'll be moving to france for a few years. i have to admit that it's not 100% what i want for myself, but in terms of our future it's a move that can't be avoided as my oh's career is short and we'll be financially set for life afterwards. wow, that all sounded very mysterious! :lol:

i thought i may as well get way ahead on the plans to reduce stress (!) and be as prepared as i can for the time when it arrives.

has anyone ever relocated with their bunnies (i also have hamsters) and could you share your experiences? especially regarding travel and veterinary care. i feel sick thinking about leaving my vet and about the stress for them, but my bunnies are with me for their entirity and i will not rehome them (unless it's in their best interests).

thank you!

Well the great thing about relocating to France is you can go by car so you can be with your bunnies for the entire journey :thumb:. I don't have any experience I'm afraid but I hope it all goes well when it eventually happens.

Within Europe you can bring in 5 pets per person.
All their vaccinations must be up to date and they must have pet passports, which any vet can do for you.
They also need a final check up before they leave saying they have no contageous diseases.

The stress is minimal. They need enough space during the journey to stretch to hop and keep their digestive system going. So a large dog crate is ideal.

As long as you don't live in the country side the vets are as rabbit savvy or not as in the UK.
I would join a forum and ask for recommendations.

Last edited:
I only know of people who have taken dogs to France and Spain.

Re: the travelling for the buns - I can only reiterate what others have said.

Inquisitiveness has got the better of me (sorry:oops:) but is your OH a footballer?:thumb: (won't be offended if you can't/don't reply)

There was a lady on here but I cant remember her name, she was in France.

What I remember of the story was she saw a rabbit in the field near her home and eventually caught it. It was a domestic, might have been black and white. the thread was pages and pages long and the year following the original thread she posted an update, she then had 2 rabbits at least, cant remember if the original had been pregnant.

Not much help I know but someone might remember who she was and she would be able to advise you of vetinary care in France.

When we went through the tunnel I saw dogs and cats going from one country to the other.

There was a lady on here but I cant remember her name, she was in France.

What I remember of the story was she saw a rabbit in the field near her home and eventually caught it. It was a domestic, might have been black and white. the thread was pages and pages long and the year following the original thread she posted an update, she then had 2 rabbits at least, cant remember if the original had been pregnant.

Not much help I know but someone might remember who she was and she would be able to advise you of vetinary care in France.

When we went through the tunnel I saw dogs and cats going from one country to the other.

This thread?
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...bour-s-loose-rabbit/page18&highlight=muppette

Depending where in France it is you might be moving to, there should be an "Anglo info" forum for that area, there's a pet/animal section, you could post on there about vets etc. I'm a member on the Brittany one as we go quite a lot, got a tiny cottage there, I'd love to live there permanently but I love it there more than the rest of the family :roll:

Back