• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Indoor rabbit smell!

bjbeth

New Kit
Please could anyone give me some advice...
I have a 1 year old female french lop in a hutch kept in the kitchen.
I have been laying down newspaper. Straw and hay. And having to clean it all out everyday! It really smells...
I have disinfected the hutch but the smell is so strong.

Surely you shouldn't have to clean out everyday? Costing a fortune haha.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Is she spayed? If not she is probably weeing everywhere to mark her territory. You could try litter training her which will make it easier for you to clean her out. I would also use something alongside the newspaper and straw to help soak up the wee, megazorb is really good and will also help with the odour.

No she isn't spayed and yea its the wee thats thw problem. It runs out of her hutch onto the floor!

Is she spayed? If not she is probably weeing everywhere to mark her territory. You could try litter training her which will make it easier for you to clean her out. I would also use something alongside the newspaper and straw to help soak up the wee, megazorb is really good and will also help with the odour.

I agree with this, but you may struggle to litter train her before she is spayed - worth a try though. If you put a tray into her hutch, lined with newspaper and hay, she may realise what she has to do :)

Ultimately though, she will need to be spayed. This is important for her health as well as for helping with the wee.

Does she come out of the hutch too?

I find it so much easier to give my rabbits carpet in their shed, than to keep buying straw and hay to fill it with.

It can be very easy to litter train rabbits once they are spayed, they are not as territorial. Once you have litter trained her, you could carpet her hutch as it is really cheap to just get some offcuts of carpet. As someone else said, spaying is very important for rabbit health, they are much less likely to get uterine cancer if they are spayed.

I find the best way to litter train is to get a cat sized litter tray and line it with newspaper and then either straw or hay. Mine have always known that newspaper = toilet for some reason. If you have the rest of the hutch lined with the same thing though, it could confuse her, so I wouldn't put newspaper everywhere as well as in the litter tray.

Also, most people on here do clean their rabbits out everyday. I clean my two litter trays everyday and clean up every single poop! White vinegar is good for getting rid of rabbit smells.

Does she have a run too?

Last edited:
how big is her hutch? if it's too small, then this will also add to the problem. is there anyway she could be free range in the kitchen, or have her area increased? this way you can add litter trays instead.

and yes, i think you do have to clean out alot. :lol:

getting her spayed should help aswell as preventing uterine cancer. :wave:

To be honest I dony think her hutch is big enough. We just took her in from a woman who wasn't interested anymore.
I will litter train her and then she can have free roam of the kitchen.
Also just phoned vets and its £76 so shall get saving

To be honest I dony think her hutch is big enough. We just took her in from a woman who wasn't interested anymore.
I will litter train her and then she can have free roam of the kitchen.
Also just phoned vets and its £76 so shall get saving

make sure you find a rabbit savvy vet to do the spay. make sure she is in the best possible hands. if you need to find one, just start a new thread asking for a vet in your area. :)

i bet she would love roaming the kitchen. if you're looking for something to use in litter trays, i would try fitch. it's really good. :wave:

Has anyone ever tried repticard??
I havr a huge bale of it for my snakes. Its just shredded cardboard and I use it for my cats litter tray

Back