• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Question regarding giant rabbits. Needing some information please.

Mrs. Bunnykins

Wise Old Thumper
Now I know that the giant breeds of rabbits very rarely live as long as their smaller counterparts.:(

My question is, do they actually age faster in which case health issues may play a major part in their demise, or is it the case that they are not designed to live long? I hope this makes sense.

My dear Delilah is a conti giant x French lop and is 1 1/2 years old. Now, when she came here she was full of mischief and all in all a real handful.:roll:In the two months that she has been here, she seems to have calmed down considerably......thank goodness. So it could be that she is feeling much more settled or it be a combination of that and also she is slowing down? I know that she is still young in bunny terms, but in giant bunny terms she could well be a third of the way through her life.

I'm rambling now.:oops: Sorry.

But I hope someone can shed a little light on these beautiful big bunnies life expectancy.

Thanks.

I have a British Giant, adopted him when he was a year old and he's now just over 2. He has always been very chilled (except before neutering, he was a nightmare and tried to hump my cat :shock: :roll: ), though my vet did say he could get arthritis earlier than other buns.

Sorry, that's not very helpful!

Giants can develop cardiomyopathy where the heart becomes enlarged and weakened. So if she seems to be lethargic as opposed to just being 'calm and settled' or if you notice that she has an increased respiratory rate and/or effort then a Vet check would be a good idea.

My Giant, Big Libby lived for just over 7 years xx

They certainly calm down but I'm not sure they "age" faster. Hector can still be a proper wrecking ball when he wants to be (tummy issues aside) :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How long between when you got her and neutering? If she was neutered just prior to arriving, for example, her hormones decreasing would be a possible explanation.

A checkup would certainly be a good option to put your mind at rest though :)

How long between when you got her and neutering? If she was neutered just prior to arriving, for example, her hormones decreasing would be a possible explanation.

A checkup would certainly be a good option to put your mind at rest though :)

Delilah had already been neutered way before I adopted her, so I think that I can rule out her hormones settling down. She did have so many changes in a few short space of time so this current behaviour could be the norm now she is settled.

In just over a week Delilah went in to rescue, spent two days on her own and then she was introduced to Frankie, they were blissfully happy together for two days before he had to be admitted to a vets as he had a chronic kidney infection, unfortunately Delilah wasn't taken with him, they were separated for six days and eventually re-united back at home. A heck of a lot of change for any bunny to come to terms with.

Her input and output is perfect, no laboured breathing, binkying happily.....but I will get her checked at the vets when we go for her combi vaccination in a couple of weeks time.

Many thanks for all of the replies.

Not sure but my 6 and 7 year old large buns are still very active one a German lop and not sure of breed of the other one.

Back