• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

I don't think George is eating his caecotrophes

Lauraa03

Young Bun
I looked in on George this morning and yesterday and there was some soft poo, which I'm guessing are the caecotrophes, any ideas why he might not be eating them?

He could be a little upset because he's just moved in I guess. I'd try to up his hay consumption and monitor for a day or so. He may be producing too many or may just not be eating them.

Do you know what he's been eating before he's moved in?

He's lovely. Contis are gorgeous. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you feeding him the same pellets as he was on previously? Any change in diet could also have triggered it, or feeding too many pellets could cause it. Also if you have fed him too much veg or a new veg that can also be a factor.

He could be a little upset because he's just moved in I guess. I'd try to up his hay consumption and monitor for a day or so. He may be producing too many or may just not be eating them.

Do you know what he's been eating before he's moved in?

He's lovely. Contis are gorgeous. :)

Before he moved to us he was on heygates, I've been mixing it with the science selective I bought him.
He is isn't he, I'm so in love with him already :)

Are you feeding him the same pellets as he was on previously? Any change in diet could also have triggered it, or feeding too many pellets could cause it. Also if you have fed him too much veg or a new veg that can also be a factor.

I'm mixing what he was previously on with what I've bought him. He may be getting too many pellets as my family are struggling to understand he doesn't need a bowl full of them all the time, I think I'm finally getting through to them with that. It may be that he's had new veg as I'm not sure what veg he used to eat. Thankyou for your help :)

I'm mixing what he was previously on with what I've bought him. He may be getting too many pellets as my family are struggling to understand he doesn't need a bowl full of them all the time, I think I'm finally getting through to them with that. It may be that he's had new veg as I'm not sure what veg he used to eat. Thankyou for your help :)

No problem :thumb: maybe just feed him the heygates only for a few weeks or so, till he settles in more,then start mixing to wean him onto the other food. As you say if he is being fed a lot of pellets by the family that's probably the cause. One time I went away my pet sitter overfed my four by a huge amount, they'd eaten about a month or so supply in a week :shock::lol:

Last edited:

I agree. I'd revert to his usual diet and then gradually change. I'd give him a chance to get used to you and the move first. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

agree with everyone about sticking to his original diet for a few weeks, i'd also cut out veg completely until hes more settled :thumb:

I did as suggested and went back to the pellets i was given for him, things are better, when would you suggest beginning to mix?

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk

I would leave him on his current diet for another couple of weeks, then start to very slowly introduce the new diet. Glad he's ok :thumb:

Back