• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

(Myxi) *PIC ADDED/may find upsetting*Please, if there are any spare vibes going...

Schez

Mama Doe
It's a rather long story; and right now my head is all over the place but Harry is poorly. :(

Just to give some detail. Harry wasn't looking Harry-like on Saturday when I was doing the clean outs. I picked him up to investigate (he let me pick him up which were the first alarm bells) and his mouth didn't look right. First thought, dental? I knew what I wanted to do instantly.

I set him up in a crate in our bedroom to watch over/monitor him.

He's eating (he's a master hay nommer) and drinking. Poo is normal and he is weeing. I couldn't put my finger on what was wrong. :? He just seemed a bit fed up?

First thing this morning I made an appointment for the vets.

The vet weighed him, norm weight (infact a teeny increase if anything) and checked his teeth - perfect bunny gnashers...

Vet examined his mouth and said that his lips (told me proper term for that part of bunny anatomy but of course, that went out the window :oops:) were swollen and it felt like the poor wee thing had a lump on his nose. :(

She said that she felt that he was fighting a strain of myxi. How I stayed calm I don't know. I've seen full blown myxi and all I could think is please, not Harry. :cry:
Harry, fortunately is vaccinated. The problem being he is due for vacs booster to tomorrow. The vet felt she didn't want to give his booster as he is already fighting something off, and injecting something else for his body to process might start up other problems.

I'm lucky that Harry is vaccinated. Bunnies that are vaccinated stand a good chance of recovery. I'm just watching him now. If anything else develops, I'm taking him straight back in.
Please, anyone reading this who hasn't yet vaccinated their bunny(ies), please, please do. It can make a huge difference to a Bunny's survival if they come up against myxi and it really is a very horrible disease. :(

Harry is such a gentle-bun. A real sweetie of my bunny tribe. He's seems bright at the moment. Even demonstrated his hay munching ability to the vet.

Harry:See vet lady, I eats my hay noms... :shock::roll::lol:

Harry is just resting for now. Any vibes for my gentle bun would be so very much appreciated.xx

Last edited:
oh no, poor harry :cry: what a worry, ive no advice in this area im afraid, could you ask the rwaf if they could offer any advice or hope jacks-jane see's this and can help with any advice

many vibes harry xxx

Thank you for the vibes everyone. It really does mean a lot. For an outside bun, he really loves human interaction.... Especially the boys. He comes running if O calls him. There was a family next to us in the waiting room, and I think Harry was responding to the kiddies voices... He was pressing his nose through the carrier bars to look at them. :love:

Sending lot's of get well vibes xxxx I'm taking my bun to get her jabs this weekend, I have this forum to thank for that!

His vaccination will give him a fighting chance - the combined one lasts a minimum of 12 months, in reality the protection trails off after that instead of just stopping ( something my vet said when my bun was too ill for his jab) so it lasts longer. Take comfort in that - you've given him the best chance by vaccinating him.

I'd get some fibreplex and recovery food ready in case he needs encouraging to eat at point. From reading about myxi, he'll probably need metacam at some point too, to reduce swelling and pain.

Oh no, so sorry to hear that Harry is poorly :(. Has he come into contact with any different bunnies in the past few months or so? The reason I ask is that another possibility is syphilis and it has an incubation of around 12 weeks so if he has been in contact with a new/different bun within about that time, it's possible that it's been transferred to him. It can present as lumps/scabs around the nose and or genitals too, but it is very easily treated with a course of penicillin injections.

Either way, hope your little one is ok x x

His vaccination will give him a fighting chance - the combined one lasts a minimum of 12 months, in reality the protection trails off after that instead of just stopping ( something my vet said when my bun was too ill for his jab) so it lasts longer. Take comfort in that - you've given him the best chance by vaccinating him.

I'd get some fibreplex and recovery food ready in case he needs encouraging to eat at point. From reading about myxi, he'll probably need metacam soon too.

Thank you, that's something the vet didn't mention; how the vacs trails off rather than stopping.

I've got some recovery food in the house but I'm unsure about fibreplex? :oops::oops::oops:
I did talk to the vet about pain relief/if/when he may need it, and she went through the signs I will need to look out for.

It's just a waiting game and it's scary. :(

Oh no, so sorry to hear that Harry is poorly :(. Has he come into contact with any different bunnies in the past few months or so? The reason I ask is that another possibility is syphilis and it has an incubation of around 12 weeks so if he has been in contact with a new/different bun within about that time, it's possible that it's been transferred to him. It can present as lumps/scabs around the nose and or genitals too, but it is very easily treated with a course of penicillin injections.

Either way, hope your little one is ok x x

Hmmm.. Just thinking... Harry hasn't been in contact with different bunnies... But do you think syphilis is still worth mentioning to the vet?
Thank you for saying though - has the cogs turning. xx

You could start him on metacam before symptoms start, purely because it will take some of the inflammation down and this in turn will help him continue eating. When Sorrell had the reaction to the vaccination he had metacam for a few days but he wasn't in noticeable pain, it just helped him out a bit.

You can buy Fibreplex online at pet supermarket for around £8.. my vet charges £22 :shock:

Back