• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit garden

Rexripley

Mama Doe
Thinking of having a wee plot in the back garden to grow veg for the bunnies

Does anyone else do this? What's easy to grow? :)

We tried veg growing a few years ago, and failed dismally :lol: the space is now converted to the rabbits run :lol:

I think its because it was partly shaded, but I recon we could have bought organic veg from Waitrose cheaper :oops::lol: the only thing that did really well was purple sprouting broccoli.

I'm not green fingered at all, the only thing I can grow is dandelions nettles and brambles (unintentional bunny forage) :thumb:

We were thinking of doing this :wave:

That thought was a while ago....... so far we've bought seeds and 4 picket fences but that's it :lol:
I think it could really work though, if you planted them carefully and didn't forget about them, it's a great way to source veg for bunnies :thumb:

I grow veg in the garden and on allotment:wave: excellent yep thing to do, herbs are good to grow for your bunnies and are easy peasy:lol:

Carrots are so easy to grow in large pots, as are peas. Actually most things can be grown in pots :thumb: happy to offer any advice (if I can :lol:)

Herbs!

I haven't got a specific patch for bunny food, but use several of those large flexi buckets (made drainage holes in the bottom) and have herbs, dandelions, plantain, etc growing in them, and in the centre of each tub I have either a blackberry bramble, raspberry bramble, apple sapling or hawthorn sapling :)

It's easy to move the tubs, as they have handles, and when we move house I can take it all with me :D

I don't grow veg (except celery as it did ridiculously well when we decided to let it die and use the pot for something else), but I do have a little patch for herbs and bunny-safe plants at the bottom of my run. This was a couple of years back when it was decidedly smaller!

428783_10151090993244363_13031170_n.jpg

I don't grow veg (except celery as it did ridiculously well when we decided to let it die and use the pot for something else), but I do have a little patch for herbs and bunny-safe plants at the bottom of my run. This was a couple of years back when it was decidedly smaller!

428783_10151090993244363_13031170_n.jpg

This looks fab! Exactly the kind of thing I should do! How do you stop the buns eating the whole lot tho?? I haves cattle trough with some herbs and strawberry plants but the boys can jump up into it and if I don't see them they munch the whole trough to bare soil :( they don't realise they are destroying their own snack box!!

Flymo escaped last year and ate through my entire veg plot - apart from my garlic - if that counts :roll:

Security measures tightened, I'm hoping I can grow again this year if there's time and do some bits especially for the buns & guinea pigs. We have some established herbs out the front which they get regular bits of :D

Flymo escaped last year and ate through my entire veg plot - apart from my garlic - if that counts :roll:

Security measures tightened, I'm hoping I can grow again this year if there's time and do some bits especially for the buns & guinea pigs. We have some established herbs out the front which they get regular bits of :D

Well he is called Flymo!! :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This looks fab! Exactly the kind of thing I should do! How do you stop the buns eating the whole lot tho?? I haves cattle trough with some herbs and strawberry plants but the boys can jump up into it and if I don't see them they munch the whole trough to bare soil :( they don't realise they are destroying their own snack box!!
At first, that short fence was enough to stop them going in (mainly because they tried to go through it and got stuck, or tried to lean on it and it buckled) but after a while we did have to stop them accessing it, so now we've got puppy panels around most of the outside of the garden that stops them getting to anywhere we don't want them going.
We've also got a lot of plants in tall pots which is fairly effective at stopping them.

Back