• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

baby house rabbit has gone quiet... advice please

Hello everyone,

Our 11 week old Netherland dwarf buck has gone very quiet. He had previously been a very happy binky sociable rabbit and all of a sudden isn't. He is eating still (although slightly less), drinking, and still likes his favourite treat of broccoli. He seems quite lethargic and i noticed his testicles look like they are in the process of dropping and his droppings look slightly smaller.

Does anyone think it is related to puberty or could it be something else? We have only had him 10 days. :-(

Please advise.

I don't know what it could be, as I don't know much about rabbit health issues, but I would recommend taking your bunny to the vets.

Lethargy in rabbits is a classic sign that something is wrong, it usually suggests that something is making them feel unwell. I wouldn't worry about it too much until you get him checked out, but when bunny behaviour changes it is important to get them checked out.

It sounds as though his gut motility is reduced. I would not feed him any more veg tonight, broccoli in particular can cause problems for some Rabbits. It can cause a very gassy tummy. Try to get him to eat as much hay as possible and also encourage him to drink. Offering water from a bowl as Rabbits tend to drink more from a bowl than from a sipper bottle.

You could give him a couple of mls of Infacol or Gripe Water which could help relieve tummy pain due to excess gas.

I would get your Vet to check him over tomorrow morning. Sooner if he deteriorates this evening

Last edited:
This is a very difficult age for rabbits - made even more so if they have relatively recently moved homes. Their stomachs are still adjusting to any changes in foodstuffs and they can quickly get a gut problem as they have gut bacteria very sensitive to change.

Hormonal changes will not make him quiet or lethargic (in fact totally the opposite) and smaller poos are a clear warning sign that something is wrong in the gut.

Small rabbits go downhill very very very quickly and I recommend getting him seen by a knowledgeable rabbit savvy vet asap. In the meantime (ie until tomorrow when you need to see a vet) feed hay and water.

If you have not yet registered with a rabbity vet then post a thread on here asking for recommendations. Vets are very variable in their rabbit knowledge and many vets simply do not have the knowledge/experience with rabbits as they spend most of their time with cats and dogs. rabbits are classed as 'exotics' in the vet training (I know it seems odd) and as such you need to ensure your much loved bun is seen only by a GOOD rabbit vet.

Best wishes for his recovery:wave:

It sounds as though his gut motility is reduced. I would not feed him any more veg tonight, broccoli in particular can cause problems for some Rabbits. It can cause a very gassy tummy. Try to get him to eat as much hay as possible and also encourage him to drink. Offering water from a bowl as Rabbits tend to drink more from a bowl than from a sipper bottle.

You could give him a couple of mls of Infacol or Gripe Water which could help relieve tummy pain due to excess gas.

I would get your Vet to check him over tomorrow morning. Sooner if he deteriorates this evening

this :thumb:

is he still going to the toilet ? or have you noticed less or smaller droppings

I agree with the advice already given above. If you are worried take him to the vet asap. Also agree with the suggestion of finding a bunny savvy vet in your area by putting a post in rabbit chat with your area.

I hope he feels better soon.

Back