• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

would you...

rachylou

Warren Veteran
Go to a place that you know has had VHD, go to a field where wild rabbits are, walk all over it and pick a clump of grass and bring it home to feed your rabbits, without washing it?

Honey you know we shouldn't be answering these questions.

What do you think we will say?

This is genuinely a fact finding question as my therapist thinks people without OCD would have no problem doing it.

Ok, in that case no I would not purposely find a field of bunnies and pick a handful of grass from where I knew they would have touched it, but because more can be passed than VHD, even down to wildy smells maybe upsetting the buns.

But I did used to forage from a footpath hedgerow, the other side of the hedge was a bank with lots of bunnies :love: I didn't worry about foraging close to wildies in the slightest, my buns are vaccinated and safe. I did however only forage from a few foot up the hedge to avoid any possible dog pee! So no bun would have touched it either!

Where I lived there was lots of myxi around (though I never saw a wildie with it) I also think there was VHD too.

I wouldn't do it. I wash any fresh foods- including grasses. But not because of VHD, more becuase of what might have weed or shat on it, or someone/something walking on it and making it smell bad, other organisms that might be transferred, etc.

Go to a place that you know has had VHD, go to a field where wild rabbits are, walk all over it and pick a clump of grass and bring it home to feed your rabbits, without washing it?

Anything foraged from ground level gets washed - simply because of dog pee etc. That is one thing I would be disagreeing with your therapist about.

I wouldn't do it. I wash any fresh foods- including grasses. But not because of VHD, more becuase of what might have weed or shat on it, or someone/something walking on it and making it smell bad, other organisms that might be transferred, etc.

Exactly this.

No. You DO need to be careful picking wild plants from the ground. My rabbits got very poorly with coccidiosis from wildie contaminated grass. I'm sorry if that's the wrong thing to say, but it is something to be aware of. Plants growing above ground, bramble leaves and what have you, should be fine as long as they're washed.

No, I would not. But not because of vhd - if vhd was the only risk then I would, because my buns are vaccinated.

I wouldn't because of the risk of other illnesses that my buns are not vaccinated against, like cocci and E.C. Also, there's a fairly strong chance that a dog has weed/pooed on it.

However, you and your therapist may be interested to know that whilst I would not pick plants from ground level, I would happily walk through the fields and then go home and let the rabbits climb all over me and my shoes without washing them. I wouldn't even think about it. And the last two years Barney has not been vaccinated on time but 1-3 months late due to ill health, and I still wouldn't worry, as the vaccine still offers (not guaranteed 100%, declining over time) protection from vhd after a year.

No, I wouldn't.

When I pick Hawthorn I get it from high level. I also change my clothes as soon as I come in from foraging.

Not everything grows above ground level though, surely? Brambles and hawthorn yes but dandelion or plantain? What about shop-bought hay and forage? Is it treated or is that treatment effective? Would washing help anyway? Although I would wash stuff and Hector is vaccinated, I'd have thought there were still risks although there will be risks in everything e.g. Your shoes etc.

:(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn't feed him anything without washing it. But it wouldn't bother me if I had walked around a field with wild bunnies in, in an area where I knew there to be vhd, and then walking around my house and the rabbit in the same clothes and shoes.

Nope not a chance, never pick anything where wild buns have been as you never know. Don't think it's anything to do with OCD think its more common sense?! Why would anyone purposely risk spreading illness? That's like going into hospital & licking the patients to see what you can catch! Just my humble opinion :)

I wouldn't pick anything that as been near a population of wild rabbits...just in case. I wash everything I pick that has not been in my garden just in case a dog has peed on it or there's something nasty on them. I won't pick things from beside paths, unless they are high up for the same reason.

It has nothing to do with OCD, it's about being careful.

Back