• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

gypsy is dragging her back legs update. losing hope :-(

sparklefairy

Wise Old Thumper
She cannot get up at all. She is just dragging her self around :cry:
Gypsy's hind legs have been weak since she had ec a few years back. She also has arthritis in her spine. She has been about to hop and get around, even though she is a lot slower now. Last night she could not get up. She has a messy bum. She is stoll eating and is surprisingly bright although she is quite thin :cry:

What could be wrong?

I know I do not come on here anymore but I need advice. I need to arm myself with knowledge before going to the vets later. I want to know how to help her and how to get the vets to help. I need to know what treatment to fight for before they give up on her.

I am in bits. I have been up all night and have been sick. I can't stop shaking. I am si very worried. Please please help me to help my poorly girl. Gypsy is 10

Last edited:
Oh no I really hope Gypsy will be ok. I have no idea and Jane isn't around today, she has an appointment. I hope someone with more knowledge will be on RU very soon.

At least Gypsy is eating, which is good.

Sending Gypsy mega mega vibes and a big hug to you. xxx

The first thing I thought of was EC. :(

As you will know, it comes on suddenly. It's awful to watch - my poor little Nethie suffered.

My Frenchie also lost the use of his back legs suddenly. I'm sorry to say (please don't panic) it was a growth on his spine. He did manage quite well for several months before he took a clear turn for the worse.

Good luck this afternoon. I'm sorry I can't be more positive. :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't offer any advice but I just wanted to send vibes for Gypsy, and hugs to you xx

Sorry to hear that Gypsy isn't well.

I would get her seen by a vet ASAP. If nothing in particular showed up on a thorough physical examination, I would hope for:
- an anti-inflammatory such as Metacam - daily or preferably twice daily (oral) at a decent dose. Would help with any pain, inflammation, arthritis, effects of EC, etc
- panacur for 28 days in case of EC
- possibly antibiotics in case of eg. urinary tract infection. (eg Baytrill)
- possibly a full body xray to see if there is any physical injury eg spinal damage, bladder sludge / stones, or gut issues, etc.
- be prepared for the worst but hope for something treatable. Until she is assessed, any suggestion is just speculation.

At 10 years old she needs lots of TLC. Maybe a heat pad, space that she is safe in (can't injure herself but can keep moving for her guts), keep her clean, and eating every hour or 2. If she is struggling to move around, she may need help with reaching food and water (eg shallow dishes or syringe feeds). There are so many possibilities of what could be wrong. Fingers crossed that she starts to pick up in a couple of days after any treatment kicks in.

Poor Gypsy :cry:

It is quite possible that she has a collapsed vertebrae that is pressing on her spinal cord. Obviously this is only a guess, but given her age and the fact that she has osteoarthritis it seems to be a possibility. Or it could be a recurrence of 'active EC'.

The Vet would need to do a full neurological work up, including whether she can empty her bladder. Xrays could provide some information as to whether vetebral collapse has occured, but a GA may not be in Gypsy's best interests and a conscious Xray would be unlikely to provide adequate views.

I think the Vet may be open to administering a corticosteroid injection. Whilst their use in Rabbits has to be given very careful consideration as Rabbits are very sensitive to the adverse side effects which include immunosuppression and gastric ulceration, in this sort of situation I would hope that my Vet would agree to try it. If a corticosteroid is going to help (by reducing inflammation in the spinal column) the results should become evident very quickly. But they may not be long lasting, Some acupuncture may also be useful if she would tolerate it.

Sadly sometimes this sort of problem does not improve and we need to consider the quality of life :cry: Some Rabbits cope with profound disability. But they require a lot of intensive nursing care. Some Rabbits cannot tolerate this and they find it all too stressful.

I am really sorry that Gypsy is struggling now and I hope your Vet will support you in whatever decisions you need to make xx

Thank you Jane and thank you to everyone who has taken the time to reply.
Gypsy's legs seem to be sticking out at an angle. In a sitting position. Would this sugest a spinal problem? She is getting annoyed with me trying to help her. Rather than eating the food I put in front of her she will still try and battle storm for food from the bowl. She also keeps moving away from me :-(

I am so nervous about taking her to the vets. She has been with me longer than my husband:cry:

She really sounds rather like my Inca was.

Inca was a wee bit worse as she was born deformed. She got EC about a year after I got her, it affected her back legs. She was dragging them. She had Steroid Injections, Abx and then changed to Metacam. She recovered from this. Then a year or so later she had really bad Arthritis and one of her back legs started to turn in at an angle and her spine was quite curved.

We managed her condition with daily Metacam and Acupuncture.

Vibe for your wee one xx

I think that gypsy may have a curved spine too, just from how her legs are. She feels so frail :cry: I hope the vet can help. Storm would be lost without his gypsy bun :cry: I don't know what we would do if we lost her :cry:

This sounds something like how Mimzy is becoming...the odd leg positions and curved spine, but those hind legs can still kick :( ... I really hope the vet can help dear Gypsy. xxxx

As soon as I read this, I thought EC. I lost my soul bunny to this and he was paralyzed in his back legs during his first episode. I'd also say get her to the vets ASAP and also the 28 days of panacur and metacam.

Fingers crossed for you both!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

]

Here is little Gypsy with her beloved big storm. He has not left her side. They are such a devoted couple who have been together over 8 years now. Storm has never been alone. I don't know how he would cope should the worst happen.

Sadly Gypsy is no better :cry:

The vet reluctantly gave metacam and nothing else. I am trying to arrange an appointment to see another vets.

Things do not look good :(

I don't want to give up on her while she still seems so bright in her self. He mind and spirit are there but her body is failing.

What on earth do I do????
Gypsy has been with me longer than my husband.

Devastated :cry:

Last edited:
Back