• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

new member needing help with bonding rabbits

Hello I have just registered on here my name is Hollie and I have 2 female rabbits. I original had Luna who is a Netherland dwarf and is 1 in march, I then adopted Hope who had an extremely bad background of being severely neglected by previous owner she is a lionhead x lop and has just turned one this month. They were both spayed in June 2013. Last summer I tried to bond them as they seemed interested in each other when they saw each other through the runs, this did not work as they started attacking each other, I have tried several times in a neutral place but every time they have fought, it is always Luna who attacks first and as a result Hope now has a split ear :( I have read on pages about bonding but nothing has seemed to work. Has anyone got any ideas or experience in bonding female rabbits?
Hollie

Hi there. Are you trying to bond your bunnies in a neutral setting where neither of them has been before, especially Luna. She was there first and considers it her territory this is why she attacks the other female.

I'm not an expert (first thing I should point out - there might be someone else out there who can help more than I can!) but I believe female-female bonding is generally the most difficult (and therefore more likely to take longer/more patience etc).

Are the bunnies living in adjoining (slightly apart so they can't attack through the bars) cages so they get used to seeing each other? If not, make sure they are like that for a while and every day swap them over to live in the other bunny's cage so they are forced to get used to living with and in each other's smell. Make sure where they eat is next to each adjoining cage so they get used to eating near each other. If they fight when they come out of their cages, just leave them as adjoining neighbours, swapping over each day a little longer - they really need to get used to each other's presence!

When/where do they fight? Some pointers might help you:

- when introducing, try to make the space as neutral as possible so neither bunny has an advantage
- always try to end them meeting on a positive (or at least neutral note)
- start off with short periods of time together and increase the time as they become better with each other (even if the first few are literally only 5 mins at a time)
- don't work to your own schedule when they're together - if they remain happy for a longer time, stick with it and don't just put them back in their cages because their 'time is up'
- try things they might be able to bond over - you can groom both of them whilst they are close to each other so they get a positive association, food can sometimes help (although I found not treats as Alf got jealous of this, so just something nice like some yummy greens), lots of toys to distract and play with etc.
- some people try to bond in very small spaces - this probably can work, but I personally found my two worked better in a larger space
- be very patient - mine now live together and put up with each other (ie: don't try to kill one another), but still working on the full bonding - it can take a lot of time! Don't try to rush them, go at their pace, if you force them you'll only set yourself back some more
- try not to involve yourself in the bonding too much - this is between the bunnies not you - I found that if I bang a metal spoon against a pan loudly when Alf and Rosie started to scuffle they would stop pretty much immediately - this was a brilliant piece of advise given to me by another bonder and was much more effective and peaceful than me trying to get between them and made them come away from each other of their own accord, rather than being forced (although it's worth noting that if this doesn't work you will have to stop the fight - shouldn't ever leave bunnies to just fight!)
- most importantly (from my own experience) - adapt to what is the best method you find for your own bunnies - you know them better than anyone and through trying will work out what is best for them - what is best for others may not work for you and you might need to be imaginative - there's no real 'rules' to this!

Hope this helps a little bit - feel free to ask if you think there's anything else I can help with!

Good luck

Last edited:
bonding

Thank you all for the advice, they are currently leaving in a double hutch so Luna is above Hope, I have tried swapping their toys etc over so they get used to the smell of each other but this has never seemed to have made a difference :( Hope is also very food aggressive so I have decided that they wouldn't be living together as I can't see it working but would be nice if they could come in my house together or in the run instead of being in separate ones.

I am going to start trying again in February so fingers crossed they may start to get used to each other, I think I will work with a bigger space as I think a smaller one would make them more likely to attack. I will definitely try banging loud things if they start to fight as don't want anymore injuries.

Fingers crossed it goes well. Will keep you posted to see what happens, any more advice is very much welcome :) thank you!

Hollie

Do you scatter feed? That might be a good idea to start trying as there isn't a bowl or anything for her to get defensive over :) I have to do it with mine but they still nip and chase each other at dinner time even though they are happily bonded :roll: :lol:

Hi there,
I'll start by saying I'm not an expert either so this is just my opinion. Have done a few bonds but one thing I would suggest if you are still struggling is a car ride. Some people don't like this method as you are causing mild stress to the rabbits but the idea is that you take them out together in the car and the noise/vibration of the car makes them huddle together because they are a bit scared. You would ideally need someone to drive you around for 10 minutes so you can watch the rabbits and separate if needed (use an open top box and gloves!) and then if they seem okay you put them straight from the car into the neutral territory.
Again, I know some people don't advocate this but I have tried it with difficult bonds and i personally found it helps.
Good luck.

Thank you all for the advice, they are currently leaving in a double hutch so Luna is above Hope, I have tried swapping their toys etc over so they get used to the smell of each other but this has never seemed to have made a difference :( Hope is also very food aggressive so I have decided that they wouldn't be living together as I can't see it working but would be nice if they could come in my house together or in the run instead of being in separate ones.

I am going to start trying again in February so fingers crossed they may start to get used to each other, I think I will work with a bigger space as I think a smaller one would make them more likely to attack. I will definitely try banging loud things if they start to fight as don't want anymore injuries.

Fingers crossed it goes well. Will keep you posted to see what happens, any more advice is very much welcome :) thank you!

Hollie

Hey again.... Couldn't help noticing that you mention they live above/below each other. This could be part of your problem. If they can't see each other constantly all that happens is every time you bring them out face to face the other bunny is just seen as a threat... They don't recognise them, so each time you start from scratch again which means they will fight. I suspect this is probably causing a big obstacle to getting them started at all.

Is there any way you could put them adjacent rather than up/down? This would also help with the food jealously (I had that problem to) as if they are in cages by each other you can place each of their food areas next to each other so (although safely through bars) they get used to dining together. This is really important as eating together is a very strong way to bond two bunnies and builds trust and sociable skills with each other.

Finally..... I'd try fully swapping the bunnies over daily into the other cage. Toy swapping can only really go so far. If you swap the bunny over they are engulfed in the other rabbits scent (not just toys but bedding, litter, food area, and water etc). Doing that really helped my two get used to each other before I even began official bonding in the same space.

I really think that possibly how they're living at the minute might be hindering it for you... Although you do know then much better than we do so if you feel it isn't hindering (or possibly you've already tried what I've suggested!) Then continue as you are.

Really hope this helps you a little. This is all personal advice from my own experience and also advice I've been given previously from more experienced bonders.

wish you lots of luck  x

Last edited:
Back