• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

3 lovely doggies

Georgeypudding

Wise Old Thumper
My trainer asked me to get some photos of her dogs recently so we went out this morning. It was absolutely freezing but lovely!

She has 3 dogs, from left to right are Kofi, Kookie and Kumi. Kofi and Kookie are collies, Kumi is an english shepherd.
1424455_10152538652625558_900275536_n.jpg

First we played frisbee
1495428_10152538649925558_626721919_n.jpg

1511124_10152538649875558_830604933_n.jpg

1609611_10152538650650558_423731637_n.jpg

then we did some posing
1604874_10152538651340558_909286008_n.jpg

then more running and frisbee! The ground was frozen solid
1545699_10152538651585558_1999140243_n.jpg

1513999_10152538652885558_503278009_n.jpg

1517657_10152538653650558_1256355199_n.jpg

gorgeous place to go for a walk :love:
1014371_10152538655435558_718555457_n.jpg

come on girls hurry up!
1173756_10152538656415558_899686395_n.jpg

it was so cold that my feet have only just warmed up :lol: I had no idea until we got back that Kofi is 10 years old :shock: I'd met the girls before but never Kofi and I assumed he was still quite young :love:

Wow! 10 years, really? I just love how attentive and intense all their faces are. :love: Ebon has that 'look' when she's ready for play. It really draws you into their world. :)

My internet radio was playing the intro to the opera Die Fledermaus while I scrolled through the pix...made a good soundtrack to those images. :D

Lovely, lovely dogs. :love: I hope you were well bundled though, that does look chilly. (Says the woman still snuggled under her duvet because it's -40 F outside and Jenna needs to go for a wee, poor thing...she doesn't want to get up either! :( )

yep I was shocked too, he's very young looking! He was born in my trainers kitchen on the 10th December 2003 :love: Kookie was 7 today and Kumi is 2 next month I think. They're incredible dogs, so focused. They kept running to play and then checking back in without even being called. Dotty would have been long gone :lol:
Hopefully Kumi will be mum to my future pup, apparently they make incredible assistance dogs :love::love:
It's between 0 and 2c here today so 30-35f I think. -40 sounds horrific :shock: how do you cope?!
some edited photos....

Kofi
1510819_10152538705670558_2127060281_n.jpg

Kookie
1609750_10152538705675558_1867211505_n.jpg

Kumi
1017136_10152538705825558_1799912667_n.jpg

If you are getting your own pup as opposed to having a dog who has already been assessed and is suitable you have to be prepared for in case the dog does not reach the high standards required to go onto a training program. You should think of it as buying a pet then if suitable it can be trained as an assistance dog if not it remains your pet. They have thousands of applications each year only a few a successful.

ETA you will also be assessed

Last edited:
yep I'm, fully aware of that. As it is I would like another dog anyway as I'd like to do competitive obedience and heelwork to music but Dotty isn't suitable for that (agility is more her thing) so no matter what happens re assistance work I have plans for a new dog.

yep I'm, fully aware of that. As it is I would like another dog anyway as I'd like to do competitive obedience and heelwork to music but Dotty isn't suitable for that (agility is more her thing) so no matter what happens re assistance work I have plans for a new dog.

To be honest, if you can do competitive obedience and heel work to music, then I doubt any of the assistance dog organisations would accept you anyway, as their dogs tend to be more for people who need help with dressing, shopping etc. You could always just concentrate on the obedience/heelwork, and train your new dog to do a few assistance buts for you, like picking things up. But only registered assistance dogs are allowed to accompany you where regular dogs aren't allowed.

To be honest, if you can do competitive obedience and heel work to music, then I doubt any of the assistance dog organisations would accept you anyway, as their dogs tend to be more for people who need help with dressing, shopping etc. You could always just concentrate on the obedience/heelwork, and train your new dog to do a few assistance buts for you, like picking things up. But only registered assistance dogs are allowed to accompany you where regular dogs aren't allowed.

believe it or not these things can be done from a wheelchair ;) I like a challenge and this would certainly be one as very few people do these things so I'd have to learn how to adapt moves and things. We might never be serious competitors but it's a hobby and that's all I want out of it, same with Dotty and agility. The charity themselves have no issue with dogs that do other kinds of activities outside of their assistance work, I've spoken with them already to talk about my situation

believe it or not these things can be done from a wheelchair ;) I like a challenge and this would certainly be one as very few people do these things so I'd have to learn how to adapt moves and things. We might never be serious competitors but it's a hobby and that's all I want out of it, same with Dotty and agility. The charity themselves have no issue with dogs that do other kinds of activities outside of their assistance work, I've spoken with them already to talk about my situation

I know that these hobbies can be done from a wheelchair, as I know a lot of disabled people and I also know a lot with assistance dogs ;)

All I am trying to explain is that as the waiting lists are so long for assistance dogs priority for training goes to those who really need assistance - for washing dressing, handing items etc. ;)

Assistance dogs have to have a minimum 45 minute free run every day, and you have to prove that you have dog walkers in place, for like when you were recently unable to take Dotty out for a week.

People who get assistance dogs also tend to have been assessed as needing high levels of care and received DLA, but I recall you were turned down for that last year?

I don't mean to sound bit picking, I just don't want you to raise your hopes of having a registered assistance dog from getting your own pup.

Last edited:
believe me I have gone over all of these things, multiple times with many different people. The DLA decision is being appealed, if you know lots of disabled people then you know that a lot of them get turned for ridiculous reasons, including terminally ill people who should automatically get a certain level of benefit. My situation is one of those, the paper work contradicts itself, the reasonings are ridiculous and go against most of the evidence I have given from doctors who actually know me.
I know waiting lists are long, and currently the waiting list is closed because it's so long! I'm prepared not to get through the selection process and it doesn't bother me too much, like I said I want a dog anyway but just because it's difficult doesn't mean I won't be applying. I consider myself to be in a situation where I need help, day to day life is extremely difficult.
There are at least 3 members in my dog walking group who are dog walkers for a living, I also have used a local one before now so it isn't a concern. Neither is getting in the amount of physical and mental stimulation that is needed.

If there is a possibility for an issue I have gone over it. When pups arrive there might not even be a puppy suitable for me, these things happen so my hopes are not high because I don't want to get disappointed

Lovely pics :love: two of my favorite breeds also!:D

As a random note, I didn't know the grass stayed green in England in the winter:shock:

Lovely pics :love: two of my favorite breeds also!:D

As a random note, I didn't know the grass stayed green in England in the winter:shock:

what did you think happened? :shock: It mostly turns to mud to be honest but as sprinklers aren't a big thing in the UK it's summer time when grass turns brown and dies off :)

what did you think happened? :shock: It mostly turns to mud to be honest but as sprinklers aren't a big thing in the UK it's summer time when grass turns brown and dies off :)

I thought it turned brown :lol: I know not all types of grass go dormant but I guess I figured in temperate climates people don't/can't have the types that don't go dormant :? :lol:

Back