• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Together after surgery?????

Nkwilkins

Young Bun
I have had my 2 rabbits for about 10 months now and the whole time I believed they were both females, I took them to the vet last week to get them gender checked because they kept humping and found out one of them is actually a male! The vet said it is very odd how they haven't had babies yet after being together all that time! They have an incredibly close bond already and barely leave each other's side...
This Friday the female is going in to the vets to be spayed and I was wondering what they will be like together after the surgery because he isn't being done yet!

I have had my 2 rabbits for about 10 months now and the whole time I believed they were both females, I took them to the vet last week to get them gender checked because they kept humping and found out one of them is actually a male! The vet said it is very odd how they haven't had babies yet after being together all that time! They have an incredibly close bond already and barely leave each other's side...
This Friday the female is going in to the vets to be spayed and I was wondering what they will be like together after the surgery because he isn't being done yet!

They will have to be separated until he has been castrated. He will keep trying to hump her and she wont be able to cope with that after a spay.

Is the Vet certain she is not pregnant ? If she were to be and the pregnancy was more than about 10 days gestation a spay would be extremely risky.

Would it not be more sensible to have your male rabbit neutered first then you can be sure the female isn't pregnant by letting a few weeks lapse, then get her spayed later?

matthew attacked tabitha after her spay so they had to be separated for a while and put back together later.
charles went to the vet with cecile and they stayed together throughout, with no problems. they have never been apart, except for one day when he had a quick vet visit because his eye was sore.

matthew attacked tabitha after her spay so they had to be separated for a while and put back together later.
charles went to the vet with cecile and they stayed together throughout, with no problems. they have never been apart, except for one day when he had a quick vet visit because his eye was sore.

Will they show signs of aggressive behaviour towards each other if they were going to, if I kept them in separate hutches by each other so they can still see, smell and touch each other if they want to?

Would it not be more sensible to have your male rabbit neutered first then you can be sure the female isn't pregnant by letting a few weeks lapse, then get her spayed later?

The vet told me if I was going to have one done first have the female done for an instant result... she was giving a proper check when she went in and they have said there is nothing indicating she is pregnant at the moment! what will happen if she goes to be done and she is pregnant?

It all depends on how far into the pregnancy she is, if she is pregnant. She could be due in which case it is not a good idea to have her spayed. You just don't know and rabbits hide babies very well. I don't think she will be as it would have happened before now, brothers and sisters don't always mate, sons prefer to chase Mum! But she could be. Good luck with whatever you decide.

It all depends on how far into the pregnancy she is, if she is pregnant. She could be due in which case it is not a good idea to have her spayed. You just don't know and rabbits hide babies very well. I don't think she will be as it would have happened before now, brothers and sisters don't always mate, sons prefer to chase Mum! But she could be. Good luck with whatever you decide.

They are brother and sister... I would get them both done at the same time but just before I found out they were male and female I spent over £200 on a new hutch and accessories for them so I can't physically afford to get him done too at the moment :(

After she has been spayed you could try keeping them together in a completely neutral environment but you would have to watch them very carefully. If there is any aggression you would have to remove the male until he has been fixed.

After she has been spayed you could try keeping them together in a completely neutral environment but you would have to watch them very carefully. If there is any aggression you would have to remove the male until he has been fixed.

Went in to speak to the vet who has known them
Both since they were babies and she said leave them apart for 3 days until she's been back in for her check up after the op then try them together but keep an eye on them, hopefully they will be fine,
Would hate to split them up!

You have separated them until the operation, haven't you?

decided to get him done first in the end, but it turns out she is pregnant anyway! got home from the vet this morning after dropping him off to find she has made a nest so looks like im having babies in the next 48 hours!
any advice on what to do? I have never had baby rabbits before!

Oh dear! Never mind it's not your fault. Just give her lots of hay so she can make a lovely nest and leave her to it. They love lots of veg, dandelion leaves, grass at this time and if you continue feeding her these things, when the babies start nibbling at her food they will become accustomed to them with no problems. Hope Dad is ok.

Didn't look too pleased with me this morning before we left for the vets, had plenty of kisses off him tonight though when he got home... :D

33yqu5x.jpg

Back