• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Spayed female and unneutured male?

Nkwilkins

Young Bun
I have had my 2 rabbits for about 10 months now and the whole time I believed they were both females, I took them to the vet last week to get them gender checked because they kept humping and found out one of them is actually a male! The vet said it is very odd how they haven't had babies yet after being together all that time! They have an incredibly close bond already and barely leave each other's side...
This Friday the female is going in to the vets to be spayed and I was wondering what they will be like together after the surgery because he isn't being done yet!

You will have to give her time to recover after her operation separate from the male as you don't want him to hump her for a couple of weeks. I have never had a neutered female with an unneutered male but I would imagine he will still hump her and he could annoy her.

i would wait until they have both been done and their hormones have had time to leave the system (6-8 weeks) before rebonding them. if you dont you run the risk of them falling out and making rebonding much more difficult or even impossible.

She will be kept inside with me for a few days after the surgery to make sure she recovers and then I was going to put her back outside in a separate hutch next to his for a while so they can still see, smell and touch each other....

I just don't know what to do after that, they hate being separated!

Can you get him done on the same day? Personally I would just take them both in together, get them done on the same day and then they can recover together too. That way they won't need to be separated at all and it's less likely to risk the bond. Even after a couple of days apart the bond will be broken (although it *may* fix easily) especially as she will smell funny too having been at the vets.

Back