• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Litter training & bunny weeing on me!

Leesa

Warren Scout
I don't remember litter training this hard with my last rabbit Max, he was brought from a pet shop & only really ever had 2 accidents unless he was ill and going to the vets, but I've been wee-ed on twice today by my new little girl!! Not like I was holding her, just her sat next to me & decides to wee on me. She does use her litter tray, but not all the time - I'm doing the usual stuff - if she starts weeing saying no in a stern voice and picking her up & putting her in her litter tray, also putting poop & stuff wee-ed on in there so she knows where to go. Anywhere else a good guide to litter training, as have to keep putting my clothes in the wash!! Have poops all over the lounge, but the wee is the main issue! (she has a main base with litter tray in - maybe I need another litter tray in the room?)

We found macaron seemed to like to pee on soft furnishings like sofa cushions or especially the duvet! Otherwise he was really good and used the litter tray. Initially we had to stop him from climbing on the sofa. Is she going on any particular materials or in the same place repeatedly? Have you tried putting another litter tray near where she goes? We also tried changing the stuff in his litter tray in case it made him confused. We were having accidents when carefresh was used but stopped on using a non-clumping paper pellet. The only other thing is I believe litter training can be easier if the rabbit is neutered/spayed?

Hope that helps!

She's only 9 weeks old - only had her a week so too young for that yet - she will be getting done when she's a bit older. I know she's only young so maybe thats the problem although I was told she was litter trained. It's on the couch and a throw & cushions, so maybe it's the material - the couch is leather so easy to wipre, but I have to keep putting the throw, cushions and my clothes in the wash. I don't think she likes me that much at the moment to mark me as her own - not that she seems to dislike me, just still forming a bond. She also goes near the litter tray but not quite in it (as well as in it sometimes). I've tried to leave the scent in there to teach her - do you think she is too fussy and wants it cleaned more often? I would usually empty it out a little more often but as it hasn't been too bad have been leaving it so she knows where to go. Poops are not going in the litter tray at all - even though I have been putting themin there she does them everywhere!

I found the trick was not to give a baby rabbit too much space or time out too soon as they can get a bit overwhelmed and a bit lost, maybe 10-20 minutes at a time until they are toilet trained. If she does it again put her back in her litter tray with a firm no! Rabbits can learn to a certain extent what's allowed and what isn't.

How big is the litter tray? A lot of us use 32L storage boxes so wee is contained as I find anything smaller and they can stick their bums over the side and wee goes over. Keep all the hay around the tray as rabbits like to eat and toilet at the same time.

If you can, get a puppy pen and have her in that for a period of time until she gets the jist of litter training. She won't be 100% until spaying though and you might still find the odd poo or wee. If she can't be bothered to go back to the litter tray, then she won't, rabbits do what they want :lol:

Weeing on sofa, cushions etc is fairly normal. My spayed indoor girl still does it now sometimes, soft things seem to be appealing to rabbits and their toileting sometimes.

The litter tray is a medium triangle high backed one (she fits in it fine at the mo), she will go in it, just not all of the time and I think the times she has pee-ed by it she hasn't been in it. If I've caught her about to or mid pee when she's out exploring I've picked her up & put her in it. I guess I'll just have to keep trying to help her get the hang of it, just wanting ideas of what I can do to help her get the hang of it. She has a hay rack right by the litter tray so she can eat from it whilst in there. I won't put hay in the litter tray as my last rabbit Max got E-Cuniculi and although I managed to get him to vets in time and it he pulled through it after reading up on it, it scared the life out of me with the thought of eating soiled hay possibly causing it (he couldn't have caught it from another rabbit as he was on his own). She's limited to just the lounge now and seems quite confident to where everything is (especially the naughty bits where wires are, small spaces etc!!), but I'll try putting her back a bit more often and see if that helps. Thanks!

I've been putting kitchen roll on top of the litter (wood based cat litter pellets) and she seems to be using the litter tray more so thinking maybe she might use it more if I buy a different type - unsure what though - anyone any suggestions for something soft? Also I've noticed if there is more than 2 wees in it she won't use it just pees near it which is rather frustrating as the last few days she's been drinking a lot and weeing a lot - maybe 4/5 times a day (drinking 150-200ml in 24 hours - the first week I had her it was more like 50-100ml) - she looks fine otherwise but finding it a bit bizarre as my last bunny didn't really drink that much.

Bunny had to go to the vets yesterday as I was worried about her excessive drinking & she had started peeing a lot more - turns out she probably has cystitis so is being treated with baytril and panacur just in case of EC, however hoping it isn't that as she was supposed to been given panacur at 6 weeks old. She's using her litter tray in her base a lot more but me & my boyfriend (& the couch) are still being wee-ed on (a lot!) but hoping that will reduce as she gets better - poor little thing!!

Bunny seems to be doing a bit better with the cystitis, drinking less but still going to the toilet probably a bit more than what is normal. She's bad to the vets on Monday for a check up. Still having major issues with using the litter tray - she will use it in her base, but once it's been used once will not use it again (unless kitchen roll over the top) and will pee near it instead (which is a problem whilst I am at work as having to clean her up if she sits in it). Outside of the base she will still only use the couch or whatever on the couch - cushions, me or boyf) as her litter tray - majorly frustrating as I'm constantly having to wash my clothes and cushion covers (luckily the couch is leather so can clean it). Any ideas??

Usually toilet problems are solved once they're spayed makes a massive different but obviously she's too young yet so you may have to wait it out until she's spayed

Back