• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Kirkby Pet Welfare 2013 rehoming figure

Tracy

Warren Veteran
In 2013 Celia has moved 145 rabbits onto better lives. It is a fantastic figure for what has been an extremely difficult year in terms of the high number of ‘at risk’ rabbits coming into the rescue, including two with serious injuries. The number of strays brought in is on the increase, more people are just turning their rabbits loose when they want rid of them, the lucky ones are captured and brought into rescues. People moving home and just leaving their animals behind also seems to be increasing, again the lucky ones are found and taken to rescues. It's a sad and depressing situation, but to think that so many rabbits have been saved and have now moved on to enjoy a happy life is heartwarming. :love:

One of the badly injured bunnies was Angel. Angel and her partner Faith were dumped in a cardboard box outside Celia’s front gate on a cold snowy night in March 2013. It was the following morning before Celia found the poor girls. Their cardboard ‘home’ was soaked. Upon opening the box Celia was horrified to find that Angel’s back foot had been snapped off at the ankle joint. It was not a fresh injury, my vet estimated that it was probably around a week old, the stump was infected. Angel had to have a high amputation to remove the horrible stump and all the infected tissue. She recovered brilliantly, her lively and determined personality no doubt helped her through her ordeal. When Angel had recovered, the two girls went to the most fantastic forever home where they now live in complete luxury. A big thank you to Helen at The Rabbit Crossing for securing such an amazing home for Angel and Faith. :love:

The other badly injured bunny was Tommy Trooper. He was found as a stray and brought to the rescue. One of his hind legs was dragging behind him. Xrays showed that the leg had been completely crushed. His leg could not be saved, so the rescue had its second amputation of the year. Tommy Trooper is an old lad, but he took the operation in his stride and made an amazingly quick recovery. As soon as he was well enough to travel, the lucky lad went to a wonderful forever home. He lives with Theo and is bonded with a little bunny called Ellie. :love:

Celia has been rescuing animals for over 50 years, she has dedicated her life to it. She has a small number of volunteers who help out at the rescue on certain days of the week, but for much of the time she does the daily cleaning and feeding of the 100+ rabbits alone. She does a tough job and I know the situation with the number of unwanted/neglected/abandoned animals really gets her down, but she should feel proud of what she has achieved during 2013. :thumb:

That's a really good result :thumb::love: she should definitely feel very proud :thumb:

Excellent. I am sure all those rabbits and their 'owners' are all really grateful too!

Well done to all involved at kirkby :D

I absolutely adore our kirkby rescue bun Eccles . Yesterday evening he was zooming round the dining room doing binkies and happy has shakes. He has the most wonderful personality :)

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

Well done to all involved at kirkby :D

I absolutely adore our kirkby rescue bun Eccles . Yesterday evening he was zooming round the dining room doing binkies and happy has shakes. He has the most wonderful personality :)

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

Awwwwww :love: Eccles was always a particular favourite of mine, he's a lovely little lad. I'm so happy that he found such a wonderful home. :D

Back