• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

The hay experts.

luna

Mama Doe
I am considering placing an order with this company for six bags of their 3 kg bags of dean's hay. I am taking abit of a risk ordering this many but because the delivery is £19 to Ireland I feel I have to make the most of my order and buy in bulk.

my pair are not fussy hay eaters so I'm not too worried about them eating it but the options for hay here in Ireland are ridiculously expensive and I am currently spending €8 for a 2.5 kilo bag and it hasn't been available for the last month. I am down to my last bag now and am looking for a new supplier.

The reviews for dean's hay seem to be pretty impressive from what I am reading on the forum. I am at the checkout now and was wondering does anyone have any coupon codes for the hay experts ? £19 is such a steep delivery charge :(

I hope I'm not breaking any forum rules by asking... oops. If I am, sorry :( just let me know and I can edit my post. Thanks :)

Sent from my GT-I9001 using Tapatalk 2

Sorry can't help you with any voucher codes but I get all my hay/straw from them and have never had a problem with this company. Of course my bun loves the organic meadow hay that costs £7.99 for a small bag:roll:

Lol...they have expensive taste !!!! :lol:

I am confused now as I was also looking on the zooplus website and they have two options that look appealing to me:

The first one is pretty good value and is compressed for easy storage but obviously I cant tell if the hay is in small pieces ( i prefer long) :?

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/small_pets/hay_and_bedding/hay_small_pets/229213

The second option seems to have great reviews, it is a little expensive but I will save on delivery which is only a fiver.

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/small_pets/hay_and_bedding/hay_small_pets/48095

Decisions , decisions .... maybe I should just get one pack of each from zooplus before I buy lots from the hay experts just in case they are actually good because I dont like the idea of spending so much on delivery.

If it's prohibitively expensive to order the hay by mail order, have you tried your buns on normal baled hay? Mine love it, they eat far more than they did on the normal pet shop stuff, I buy hay meant for horses from my local stables or agricultural supplies. Obviously storage might be an issue but I think it works out a very economical way of buying it :thumb:

I know you are so right zoobec, storage is a slight issue though with the bales and although my husband assures me the shed would be fine I would be afraid of damp. I like being able to keep the hay in the house. Now I'm swaying back towards the hay experts again. Eek... the indecision !!!

Have you seen my hay thread? http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...also-have-willow-sticks&p=6120448#post6120448 I still have some lovely second cut hay.

I could see how much it would cost to send to Ireland if you like?

I can pack it very well and solidly rather than giving it the 'fluff' I usually do - and send boxes of 4 kilos at a time via myhermes. (4 kilos is cut off for their 2-5 kilos as you also have the weight of the box - -and the boxes wont take more weight than 4 kilos inside anyway!)

If you PM your postcode I can check the cost of sending to you.

:wave::wave:

Last edited:
I know you are so right zoobec, storage is a slight issue though with the bales and although my husband assures me the shed would be fine I would be afraid of damp. I like being able to keep the hay in the house. Now I'm swaying back towards the hay experts again. Eek... the indecision !!!

As long as the shed is dry you shouldn't have a problem with storing a bale outside. My bale of hay is on a very strong shelf in my goats shed, I don't think my husband would let me have it inside :lol: as long as it's off the floor (you could have it on a pallet or a couple of pieces of wood ) to allow it to breath I think it should be fine. Mine isn't wrapped in anything either.

I get Dean's farm hay from my local farm shop and my pair LOVE it!
Just cleaned them out now and they have dived in their litter trays :love:

Would it be any cheaper to buy directly from Dean's farm website?

No haven't seen your thread. could you link it in please ? Thank you :)

I get Dean's farm hay from my local farm shop and my pair LOVE it!
Just cleaned them out now and they have dived in their litter trays :love:

Would it be any cheaper to buy directly from Dean's farm website?

I have sent them an enquiry to see if they deliver to Ireland but the price of the hay itself seems to be more expensive than the hay experts. We will see what they come back with . Cheers :wave:

As long as the shed is dry you shouldn't have a problem with storing a bale outside. My bale of hay is on a very strong shelf in my goats shed, I don't think my husband would let me have it inside :lol: as long as it's off the floor (you could have it on a pallet or a couple of pieces of wood ) to allow it to breath I think it should be fine. Mine isn't wrapped in anything either.

The shed itself leaks but it would be the playhouse that we could store hay in but don't think a bale would fit in the door :? Thanks for the advice though :wave:

Back