• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Ulcers on tongue

Kim_perkins

Mama Doe
Hey all. As you know my candy had her spurs burrowed for the second time and was told she had a nasty ulcer on her left side of the tongue.

Any one else's bunnies had ulcers? She usually recovers quickly but the past 2 days she's been very slow. She's drinking lots which is good? But eating not so much. Is it just a case of it will be slow to recover as thy said it was nasty. So it must be very sore for her.
I've got her sitting in her run at the moment and that's exactly what she's doing - sitting. Not nibbling the grass or food :(
I'm hoping she picks up soon. Just wondered what genera healing times would be?

She's in baytril and in giving her loxicom once a day.

Ulcers can be very painful and they will take a few days to heal. What dose of Loxicom is she on and how much does she weigh ?

Are you supplementing what she will eat by giving some syringe feeds ?

Ulcers can be very painful and they will take a few days to heal. What dose of Loxicom is she on and how much does she weigh ?

Are you supplementing what she will eat by giving some syringe feeds ?

I've checked the syringe and she's on equivalent of a 5kg dog which is marked on the syringe. She weighs about 2.8kg she's not a big bunny at all.

I've not been supplementing her no. How would I go about this. She ha nibbled a few greens and she tends to eat grass I hand feed her.

Have you given her grated carrot as someone recently said it is good for ulcers, it's the B carotene I think. Anyone else know?

Hmm no I haven't. I give her the odd carrot but I know they're not that good for bunnies. But if it helps aid ulcers then maybe worth a try?

Has she lost a lot of weight and do you find she is drinking large amounts and urinating more. Did the vet think her teeth were bad enough to cause such an ulcer?

Has she lost a lot of weight and do you find she is drinking large amounts and urinating more. Did the vet think her teeth were bad enough to cause such an ulcer?

She's dropped .2 not major amounts and she's always stayed the same weight. It doesn't tend to fluctuate. Yes spurs where the cause a very sharp one on the left side was constantly digging in.

B vitamins help prevent normal ulcers in humans but as the ulcer is from an injury not a deficiency, I wouldn't personally want to give carrots to a rabbit whose gut is not in the best state at the moment. Just my personal view, but carrots are high in sugar so if you do feed them I would limit the quantity, as sugar is not good for the gut.

My bun hasn't had ulcers but has had a small mouth injury after a dental. He needed painkillers for longer afterwards.

No idea about the dosing of loxicom as I use dog metacam and I'm not sure if the concentration is the same, but I would talk to your vet about increasing the dose and maybe increasing the frequency of the dose if it's just once a day, as rabbits metabolise drugs much quicker than dogs and cats so they don't last as long. She sounds like she is in pain.

I thought she was on metaclopramide before, has the vet stopped that now? I would discuss putting her back on that as I think a gut stimulant would help her to keep eating and avoid adding to her pain (a slow gut can be painful).

You can supplement her food with liquid recovery food - she may eat it straight from a bowl or she may need syringe feeding. There are two available - Supreme Recovery and Oxbow Critical Care, and various versions of each. I would pop to your vet and get a few sachets to last a few days and then buy more of whatever one they give you online with quick delivery, as it is much cheaper online and you don't need a prescription. I always keep some at home just in case. Some Protexin Fibreplex would also help her tummy, it is a fibre and probiotic paste and it's carrot-flavoured so most buns like it.

I usually use The Hay Experts, Animed or Vet Uk.
http://www.thehayexperts.co.uk/health-and-hygiene/the-medicine-chest.html

B vitamins help prevent normal ulcers in humans but as the ulcer is from an injury not a deficiency, I wouldn't personally want to give carrots to a rabbit whose gut is not in the best state at the moment. Just my personal view, but carrots are high in sugar so if you do feed them I would limit the quantity, as sugar is not good for the gut.

My bun hasn't had ulcers but has had a small mouth injury after a dental. He needed painkillers for longer afterwards.

No idea about the dosing of loxicom as I use dog metacam and I'm not sure if the concentration is the same, but I would talk to your vet about increasing the dose and maybe increasing the frequency of the dose if it's just once a day, as rabbits metabolise drugs much quicker than dogs and cats so they don't last as long. She sounds like she is in pain.

I thought she was on metaclopramide before, has the vet stopped that now? I would discuss putting her back on that as I think a gut stimulant would help her to keep eating and avoid adding to her pain (a slow gut can be painful).

You can supplement her food with liquid recovery food - she may eat it straight from a bowl or she may need syringe feeding. There are two available - Supreme Recovery and Oxbow Critical Care, and various versions of each. I would pop to your vet and get a few sachets to last a few days and then buy more of whatever one they give you online with quick delivery, as it is much cheaper online and you don't need a prescription. I always keep some at home just in case. Some Protexin Fibreplex would also help her tummy, it is a fibre and probiotic paste and it's carrot-flavoured so most buns like it.

I usually use The Hay Experts, Animed or Vet Uk.
http://www.thehayexperts.co.uk/health-and-hygiene/the-medicine-chest.html

This is why my vets are quite clearly useless. They didn't tell me to give her the emeprid. I may give her a dose and call the vet. I have a stash here from last month. Still all in date.
l

This is why my vets are quite clearly useless. They didn't tell me to give her the emeprid. I may give her a dose and call the vet. I have a stash here from last month. Still all in date.

I would give them a call before you do so, it is always best to double check with prescription meds. There will be an emergency service you can phone if they are closed - if they have access to her records they may well just tell you the dose over the phone. Some vets don't like to give it until they've examined the animal, not entirely sure why but I know it can be fatal if given when there is an intestinal blockage. When giving it for a period of time, I believe the gut also becomes reliant on it and needs weaning off slowly.

I would give them a call before you do so, it is always best to double check with prescription meds. There will be an emergency service you can phone if they are closed - if they have access to her records they may well just tell you the dose over the phone. Some vets don't like to give it until they've examined the animal, not entirely sure why but I know it can be fatal if given when there is an intestinal blockage. When giving it for a period of time, I believe the gut also becomes reliant on it and needs weaning off slowly.

Ah thank you. You guys are a god send to me and Candy.
Well I'm pleased to say this morning I went out to uncover her (I cover her over at night to keep warm and protect from foxes) that she came running over to me and she had eaten most of her grass and nibbles I had put in there and I popped her in the run and she done a binky dance for me.
So my little one must be feeling better.
:)
Now to wait a week or so for some growth on those pesky teeth and to get her to a rabbit savvy vet for some analysis.

Back