• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Are rabbits difficult pets?

Hi there,

I'm extremely interested in getting a house rabbit, particularly a mini lop and wondered if anyone could tell me more about the breed? Are they generally laid back?

Also, there seems to be a lot of conflicting information online about rabbits as indoor pets. I've read they are terrible pets as they are smelly, destructive, chew everything and are very independent. I've then read that they are cuddly animals, easy to litter train, clean and make great pets.

I've had guinea pigs in the past but never rabbits. I also work with dogs, but the research I've done online implies rabbits are more hard work then dogs and also cost more to look after!

I would love to hear about people's experiences with indoor rabbits, what they enjoyed and what they found difficult with them.

Thanks!

Most neutered rabbits are easy to litter train. Mine never wee out of their pen. The odd poo, but they're not too difficult to just sweep up.

They are destructive. You need to take great care in rabbit proofing. Mine have pulled up the carpet and eaten wallpaper. Not all rabbits are that destructive, but its better to be safe than sorry!

Some are cuddley, some aren't. My boy likes a cuddle, my girl doesn't like to be touched. Most rabbits don't like to be picked up though, so any cuddles should be on their terms.

My rabbits have cost me more than my cat, easily. If they stop eating you have to get them to the vet in good time, even if it's 10pm and the vet will cost £200.

I love my bunnies, they're funny and Charlie is cuddley, they're amazing to watch binky... But they are much more hard work than I ever realised!

Another thing is that most rabbit info doesn't give correct cage size... There are no "indoor rabbit cages" on the market that are suitable, you really need to use a dog crate/pen to make a good sized enclosure for them.

We have 2 indoor rabbits, we have only just recently got Lucy who is 10 weeks old now and she's not litter trained but slowly getting there. Biscuit who's our 10 month neutered male is litter trained, however he has eaten through all our iPhone chargers and our laptop charger?! And ripped some wallpaper off- but he's such a character that we forgave him instantly lol biscuit loves seeing us and now falls asleep when we stroke him and follows me around. If you rabbit proof everything and have a big enough area for them to run around in your be fine! Ours do not have a cage just somewhere to eat and poo 😄😄😄😄
emyme8yv.jpg
8udu4uju.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rabbits are certainly not terrible pets!

I have had two indoor rabbits, and they are definitely not smelly! The only thing that smells is when they use the litter tray, but that's nothing compared to when a cat or dog would. Plus, their poops are so much easier to clean up!
Also, I wouldn't say they were 'very' independent. Rabbits can be very friendly and loving, dependent on their personality. My second indoor rabbit Daisy used to absolutely love attention and she would lie down with me everytime I started to stroke her, and she groomed me too. She would also jump on the sofa and lie with me/across me. It really depends on the rabbit though, some rabbits prefer the company of other rabbits, some enjoy the company of humans and rabbits. If your bunny was really shy, they wouldn't enjoy being stroked all the time. They have to build up a trust with you. One thing to bear in mind though, is that rabbits are a lot more sensitive than cats or dogs. You have to be really careful about anything you have in the house within their reach, because they can get ill very easily if they eat the wrong thing.
They do LOVE to chew, I had chewed headphones, tv aerials, phone lines, and with Daisy, wallpaper. My first rabbit Benji loved wires, and Daisy loved wallpaper. The room looks a mess now with patches of wallpaper shredded. Even if you provide them with lots of boredom breakers to chew, they will still want to chew your things.
They can be easy to litter train, especially if they are neutered, though none of mine have ever learned to do all of their poops in the tray. It's the pee that you would be bothered with though, as poops can easily be brushed up.

Overall, I loved having a house rabbit. I miss having one around, but they are a lot of responsibility. You have to accept the fact that some of your things may get ruined, if they are easily accessible by the bunny. But having a bunny cuddle up to you and groom you makes it all worth it.

I love having house rabbits. I don't consider them bad pets at all. I clean their litter each morning so there's no smell. I wouldn't say hard work either because you get into s routine of care. Like every morning before my coffee it's clean out/Water replaced/food (pellets/some veg/new hay).

Cleaning one litter tray is really quick too

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

I'm in my second week of rabbit caring and I'm finding out VERY quickly how much of the house I need to proof when it's run time. I have to tuck towels and blankets around the banisters, skirting, door frames (about 2 foot high), table legs, plug sockets, the internet and phone cables.. My hallway looks like something out of the ET movie when the feds come.

I find it all depends on the bun! My girl will eat EVERYTHING, and with that you have to be prepared for the bills that can come with it. Definatly not a cheap animal to keep but what animal is? My boy is timid doesnt chew, but then I have to pay for the regular tooth check ups. They are one of the most rewarding pets I find though, they have such differing personalities and always make me smile when im feeling poo :)

Thanks for all your replies, it's lovely to hear about your buns!

My plan is to convert a dog crate into a cage and only give the rabbit free run of the house when I'm around. I suppose like all animals, they can be naughty. Some people say dogs chew and wreck their furniture but there are ways to teach them not to do that.

I've read that rabbits can live to 12 years old, is this generally the case? I read online that they have short lives, someone owned three rabbits and oldest one lived to 4 which seems very young. My guinea pig lived until he was 7 so I'm conscious of the commitment I'm making, especially as my dog is expected to live into his teens!

Thanks for all your replies, it's lovely to hear about your buns!

My plan is to convert a dog crate into a cage and only give the rabbit free run of the house when I'm around. I suppose like all animals, they can be naughty. Some people say dogs chew and wreck their furniture but there are ways to teach them not to do that.

I've read that rabbits can live to 12 years old, is this generally the case? I read online that they have short lives, someone owned three rabbits and oldest one lived to 4 which seems very young. My guinea pig lived until he was 7 so I'm conscious of the commitment I'm making, especially as my dog is expected to live into his teens!

If you have a dog crate as a base you'll need a pen attached as a crate on its own is not big enough to be shut in for any length of time :wave: there is an indoor housing sticky that May be useful

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?304613-Indoor-Housing

Rabbits can live up to 12 yes :D I guess some have short lives due to genetics/a bad start/ improper diet and care but generally they live quite a long time. Larger breeds, like dogs, have shorter life expectancies.

It's also worth mentioning that rabbits are social animals and you should really consider a pair. Although there are always exceptions, generally keeping one on its own is unfair.

Rabbits can live past 10 years of age. I would do as much research as you can online before you go and get your rabbit. They really do like company and it's always better to have 2 (definitely neutered) you will have to neuter your rabbit to cut out territorial weeing, unwanted pregnancy etc.
mini lops are gorgeous and have lovely personalities but can (in my experience) be suseptible to dental problems which are costly if a regular thing. You will also have to research a good rabbit vet. Many vets don't know 100% what their doing when it comes to rabbits.

You've already been given good advice re housing - largest dog crate you can get plus an attached run.

I would also advise getting two rabbits (m & f) as most are much happier as part of a bonded couple.

They are certainly not cheap pets to keep: they need to be neutered, and vaccinated annually in the same way as cats and dogs. They need good quality hay, veg and pellets, and vet bills can be extremely high if your rabbit gets sick (hence why lots of people have insurance).

Also they can't really be taught not to be destructive, you just have to distract them the best you can away from the area they're trying to destroy!

Just agreeing with what other people have said, you really should consider getting two rabbits, as they are much happier in pairs. Especially if you are going to be out of the house for most of the day (at work), your bunny will get lonely. Perhaps you could get the mini lop you want, and then adopt a rescue bunny?

Also, please don't keep your bunny in a cage/crate all day. They need access to some kind of run at all times. I would consider making one room a 'safe' room where there is nothing the bunny can destroy or hurt themselves with. I've always given my house bunnies free range of the whole downstairs of my house. I tend to shut them in one room at night when no one is around, but I'd never shut them in a crate for a long period of time. Bunnies will recognise which room is 'their' room. They love to explore new places, but mine would always come back to the their room after a while of exploring, maybe cause it's where the food is!

I also wouldn't say you could teach rabbits not to be destructive. Digging and chewing is their natural instincts, just like you can't teach cats not to catch prey. If you have a house bunny, you really have to accept that some of your things may get ruined/chewed, there is no way to stop them.

Last edited:
Rabbits are "difficult" compared with cats and dogs. I have three bonded rabbits that live in my bedroom. You will have to be prepared for hay getting everywhere! :lol: Although my bunnies are in my bedroom, hay manages to escape and get all over the house. Also, keeping a rabbit caged is not a good idea. Min recommendations are a 6x2x2 pen/hutch with a permanently attached run of 8x4ft. They need lots and lots of space, toys, tunnels, etc.

My rabbits have a 42" dog crate in their room...the door has been taken off because they are never shut in. It is used as a base and they have 2 litter trays in there. My buns are pretty litter trained, but poo everywhere. :roll: It's easy enough swept up, but it needs keeping on top of. Most buns are fully litter trained, but one my girls has never done all her poos in the litter tray, and occasionally pees outside the tray. My boy never does anything out of his tray, so it really depends on the bunny.

All three of mine are VERY destructive. They will chew everything they aren't meant to...and the things they are meant to. :lol: I have plastic edging on all of my furniture but they have chewed my walls, bed, skirting boards, cupboard, drawers, door...everything, basically. It's a learning curve, and the buns will find it fun to find things to chew that you have not bunny proofed. :roll:

Rabbits are also quite delicate. They need a certain diet to keep them healthy and any sign of them reducing their food intake is an emergency, and they must see a vet ASAP. (As Steph182 said, that often means out of hours and can really cost a lot!)

Getting a pair of rescue buns is certainly the best option. There are many different breeds in rescue and you will definitely find the buns you are looking for. Rescue rabbits are already bonded, vaccinated, neutered and are fully health checked, so definitely have a look at your local rescues.

Here are a few links with some good info for you. http://www.actionforrabbits.co.uk/aboutrabbits.html and http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/index.php

Rabbits are very rewarding animals. They have a lot of love to give, and they are hilarious to watch. I am forever laughing at my three, they all have such characters.

I bought my first two rabbits from a pet shop (impulse). It was ACE seeing them grow up but roaringly expensive to neuter and vaccinate compared to the subsequent rescues that I adopted.

I have 5 lionhead xs and a mini lop. I adore them all. The minilop (Mottle) has had dental spurs and will be checked again soon. Hope he wont ever get them again but ... he is a lop and they are known for it. (I didnt know about this when I fell in love with him and his gorgeous little orange wife - Peaches).

Whenever mine have been indoors I have used puppypanels to enclose them and given them plenty to dig and chew and made sure their toys (eg coardboard boxes) are regularly changed and rotated so that they dont get bored of the same old things.

Rabbits can be 'difficult' in some senses but you are clearly researching properly and so at least will have an idea of what you are taking on!

Also they are VERY CUTE INDEED which makes up for everything. :D

It depends what you mean by 'difficult' I think.

They are certainly a lot more time-consuming than I ever expected - I seem to spend a good proportion of my time at home sweeping up hay these days. They were also quite destructive, especially as babies, but that has calmed down since they were spayed and we also have the bunny-proofing sorted now. I don't find these things difficult especially, just to be expected of a pet really.

I do find their delicacy quite difficult though. There are so many different ways they can be ill, and I find the rushed trips to the vets, worrying over whether the vet is right or not, trying to administer meds on my own etc all very stressful and worrying - I would say that is the most difficult aspect of them. Obviously whether or not they get ill depends on the rabbit but there aren't any guarantees so it is something to consider.

I agree that their cuteness makes up for pretty much everything though!

i have four mini-lop house rabbits, all seven and a half years old. i love them dearly.

i would counsel anyone, anyone, not to have rabbits as pets and not to have house rabbits. no other creature will cost you so much time, effort, money and heartache or wreak such destruction in your home. don't do it. just don't.

a syrian hamster makes an excellent companion animal, and the larger, longer-haired ones are particularly beautiful. and they are wonderfully portable.

I bought my first two rabbits from a pet shop (impulse). It was ACE seeing them grow up but roaringly expensive to neuter and vaccinate compared to the subsequent rescues that I adopted.

I have 5 lionhead xs and a mini lop. I adore them all. The minilop (Mottle) has had dental spurs and will be checked again soon. Hope he wont ever get them again but ... he is a lop and they are known for it. (I didnt know about this when I fell in love with him and his gorgeous little orange wife - Peaches).

Whenever mine have been indoors I have used puppypanels to enclose them and given them plenty to dig and chew and made sure their toys (eg coardboard boxes) are regularly changed and rotated so that they dont get bored of the same old things.

Rabbits can be 'difficult' in some senses but you are clearly researching properly and so at least will have an idea of what you are taking on!

Also they are VERY CUTE INDEED which makes up for everything. :D

Thanks Tulsi, I just want a good idea about rabbit ownership as I have no experience of rabbits and want to be aware of what I'm getting myself into :)

Thanks Tulsi, I just want a good idea about rabbit ownership as I have no experience of rabbits and want to be aware of what I'm getting myself into :)

Good for you. If only more people did that (she says) the rescues would not be bursting at the seams!

I'd never owned a rabbit before Doughnut and had no idea but you learn quickly.

She is a mini lop and absolutely adorable. I love coming home to her, she free ranges in the lounge/diner and goes in her hutch/play pen at night. She is litter trained but does poops outside her tray but most wees go in there. She loves chewing, not digging so I have lots of nibbled lining paper. I've put plastic corners up so she can't damage it any more and also cable tidies over wires. I've also got clear perspex so that things I don't want her to nibble are covered.

Rabbits can be expensive and a worry and you need to get their diet right, lots of hay 80/90 percent of their diet and the other remaining pellets and veg.

I think the positives certainly outweigh the negatives. I thought I could sit with Doughnut on my lap in the evening watching TV but the majority of rabbits don't like being picked up but are happy to be petted on the floor where they feel safe. She gives me kisses and nudges me for attention and follows me absolutely everywhere and if I shut the door she digs on it to get to me. She does jump on lap for treats though so I have lots of cuddles then.

Here she is:
[video]http://s1268.photobucket.com/user/Doughnutpic/media/video-2013-12-11-19-58-47_zps30404aa6.mp4.html[/video]

Back