• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Disappointed with vet

Clare-uk

Mama Doe
So I had to go to the vets with my cat & asked for some extra time to discuss my bunny girls & getting them spayed to ask advice, aftercare etc

Vet asked me why I wanted them spayed, a little surprised I said for health & to prevent dominant behaviours - well the reply was spaying won't affect behaviour & that two females probably wouldn't live together as one will want to be boss & if they are healthy then it's not worth doing it as it's a big operation :(

I don't really know how I feel now, as I've been using that practice for years, though she was a newer vet but surely she should be trained to be the same as the others in the practice & she went and asked the vet nurse too. I did notice that a colleague of hers had just arrived with her new baby & I got the feeling she wanted to go & coo over that instead :( what would you do, would you go elsewhere?

Any advice appreciated

Plus the practice supports our local rescue centre who recommend spaying

I'm confused

So I had to go to the vets with my cat & asked for some extra time to discuss my bunny girls & getting them spayed to ask advice, aftercare etc

Vet asked me why I wanted them spayed, a little surprised I said for health & to prevent dominant behaviours - well the reply was spaying won't affect behaviour & that two females probably wouldn't live together as one will want to be boss & if they are healthy then it's not worth doing it as it's a big operation :(

I don't really know how I feel now, as I've been using that practice for years, though she was a newer vet but surely she should be trained to be the same as the others in the practice & she went and asked the vet nurse too. I did notice that a colleague of hers had just arrived with her new baby & I got the feeling she wanted to go & coo over that instead :( what would you do, would you go elsewhere?

Any advice appreciated

Plus the practice supports our local rescue centre who recommend spaying

I'm confused

100% yes. She would not come within a hundred miles of a Rabbit in may care ever again.

I agree with Jane I'm afraid. Go elsewhere. If they have no idea about spaying, what else don't they know (or care) about?

I'd definitely go elsewhere. You could post on here asking for a rabbit savvy vet in your area :thumb:

I wouldn't let her anywhere near my rabbits again, do you normally have a different vet at the practice? If so I would want to talk to them and explain my concerns since if no one ever calls that vet up on her lack of knowledge then it sound like she will never learn and rabbits will end up suffering for it.

I would also be looking for a different vet though!

Any decent vet would know the health reasons as to getting a rabbit spayed. I was always going to get candy done but what pushed me sooner was she kept having phantom pregnancies and pulling her fur out xxx

I recently had the same ...took my male to get neutered and was told by vet that he doesnt push for neutering in rabbits like he would cats or dogs. He also said that 2 entire males would live together without fighting! I left and signed all 3 of my buns up at another practice! Infact my little Ted has just been neutered today by the new practise who were extremely knowledgeable and professional .
I would advise looking on the rabbit welfare association site to find a rabbit savvy vet who would b happy to help u and your bunnies x

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone, that's pretty much what I was thinking, just kind of upsetting as I have used them for years & they always seemed on the ball with my stasis bun, perhaps it was just that new vet?!

It scares/saddens me that people look to vets for advice thinking they are knowledgeable and they come out with that sort of cxxp.

Back