• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Did I over-react?

Schez

Mama Doe
It was pandemonium this morning with the get up and get out rush.

I was upstairs getting ready when I heard Hubby shout at Reggie. "Get outta the way Reg" it was tone and volume that shocked me. I promptly called down, don't shout at Reggie, he replied, I'm being careful of Reggie... I come down the stairs almost in tears. No, I said, don't shout at him. It's not his fault we :censored: up this morning, he won't understand why you're yelling at him... Hubby mutters something about not yelling, but I swear he did. I heard him from upstairs. :(
(Reggie didn't seem bothered, he still binkied when I went in to see him)

I went to work in an awful state, (not just this incident, general tired/stress)...

When hubby got in, I tried explaining about this morning and that he shouldn't have yelled at him. I also said it upset me. Hubby is adamant that he wasn't that loud, but apologised anyway.

It was tense and stressful this morning; and house bunnies do get under the feet from time to time...
But it was uncalled for.
I was worried for Reggie. I don't think bunnies link experiences and human reaction? i.e. They won't understand why a hoomin is cross? :?: :oops:

Did I overreact?

*just to cover - hubby would never hurt a bunny! and I've never heard him shout at any animal before.

He said he was sorry so heat of the moment and depending on why or where Reggie was in the way, was it to save him getting hurt or just frustration that he wanted fuss and OH had no time to do it :(

I think it was just one of those heat-of-the-moment things. It sounds like your OH WAS being careful of Reggie but in doing so got a bit frustrated - easily done when your bunnies get under your feet!

In the nicest way possible, I think you maybe were a bit quick to get upset. You said yourself Reggie didn't seem too badly affected and binkied when you went to see him, so it obviously didn't traumatise him too much :p I wouldn't have got upset myself, but at the same time I don't think you flew off the handle or anything. I hope this doesn't come across in the wrong way!

I'd just try and forget about it, kiss and make up (not just your OH, Reg too! ;)) and put it down as one of those heat of the moment things where tensions are high and people struggle not to shout.:wave:

It was so rushed and stressed this morning - I think Reggie just got in the way. :(

It's just that this morning kept playing over in my mind... And I wondered if I had over reacted to the situation. And hubby's actions shocked me and left me feeling cross. ..though it prob sounded worse than what it was.:?

Protective I guess. :oops:

I totally understand where you are coming from. I hate my OH raising his voice to my Suzi cat or any of the bunnies - it makes me really dislike him (but that's another story... :roll:).

Bunnies or whatever dont what they do to antagonise - they are just being themselves. Mind you my Suzi can be a bit norty but that's her character coming out :lol:

Shouting at a pet just distresses them.

Like others have said he did apologise which is a good thing.

Hope you are feeling better now by the way xxxx

I'd be upset too, but glad he apologised. Sometimes with stress we say things in a way we don't mean.. sounds like he was just a bit strained and maybe Reggie was under his feet a bit (Sorrell is a terrible foot follower, the amount of times I've nearly broken my neck tripping over him :roll: )

I think it was just one of those heat-of-the-moment things. It sounds like your OH WAS being careful of Reggie but in doing so got a bit frustrated - easily done when your bunnies get under your feet!

In the nicest way possible, I think you maybe were a bit quick to get upset. You said yourself Reggie didn't seem too badly affected and binkied when you went to see him, so it obviously didn't traumatise him too much :p I wouldn't have got upset myself, but at the same time I don't think you flew off the handle or anything. I hope this doesn't come across in the wrong way!

I'd just try and forget about it, kiss and make up (not just your OH, Reg too! ;)) and put it down as one of those heat of the moment things where tensions are high and people struggle not to shout.:wave:

No, no - it hasn't come across wrong. :wave: Just helps put it in perspective... Which I'm grateful for as I'm very sensitive at the moment. :oops: Maybe I wouldn't have reacted the same way if circumstances were different.

It upsets me very much when OH shouts at Eleanor, he has done it again today even though she's done nothing wrong. I don't think you were wrong to be upset.

I totally understand where you are coming from. I hate my OH raising his voice to my Suzi cat or any of the bunnies - it makes me really dislike him (but that's another story... :roll:).

Bunnies or whatever dont what they do to antagonise - they are just being themselves. Mind you my Suzi can be a bit norty but that's her character coming out :lol:

Shouting at a pet just distresses them.

Like others have said he did apologise which is a good thing.

Hope you are feeling better now by the way xxxx

I can't bear people shouting/being aggressive towards animals (or children for that matter, I'm terrible)... :? It stems from being shouted at being young. It really upsets me. :oops: It was his tone you know? It just triggered a reaction and I just didn't think it fair, Reggie was just being Reggie :lol: and he hasn't got words to say sorry/sort hubby out... :lol:

I know we all "lose it" from time to time... But I think I wasn't in the place to deal, especially with hubby. :roll:
I think we are ok now, and I know hubby can now see why I was upset... The apology (and the fact he meant it) has eased things.

It upsets me very much when OH shouts at Eleanor, he has done it again today even though she's done nothing wrong. I don't think you were wrong to be upset.

:( I think this is why I got upset, it was so tense and we were all tired, grumpy, stressed... So hubby went downstairs to get the kids breakfast and I went into the bathroom - I heard him shout in a tone that was horrible. I instantly thought he can't take it out on Reggie just coz we are having a crappy morning. :evil:

I have shouted at the dogs before. I do apologise to them but I feel terrible about it and I hate people shouting at pets :oops:

You didnt over react at all. It sounds like it was done in a stressful moment and I can totally relate to that. Great that he was sorry too.

I think it might be a little frustration and maybe even relief from your OH.
We lost my beautiful Wilbur just before Christmas in a tragic accident due to him getting under the feet of my OH :(
My OH was absolutely devastated and felt beyond guilty for what happened. He was and still is in bits.
Buns are just buns and that is why we love them but they can get under your feet and I know my OH would much prefer it if he had just been able to vent a little frustration by telling Wilbs to move than the devastation of what happened.
Don't be too hard on him. I know it's not nice to hear the buns being shouted at and I'm sure your OH felt guilty for doing it and will be more aware in future :love::love::love:

Back