• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Foragers please help. bunny in a tight spot

thumps_

Wise Old Thumper
SJH has a lovely conti called Hector & tried lots of things to control his runny caecals.
On the surface it l looked as though he has hay eating problems http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?410900-Tummy-issues-and-pro-fibre-Help-please-(
I'm not convinced, having encountered a similar problem with my bridge bun Thumper, when his caecum was very slow to empty.

They're in a very tight fix - run out of forage - & can't source any more. Blackberry & plantain helped.

He's a big boy, & needs to eat something, while we sort out what's going on.
I'm sending what I can, but can't keep a conti going for very long on my own.
Please could anyone with forage pm SJH & send some to help Hector.

I'm eternally grateful to the many RUers who helped Thumper when all the forage he'd eat suddenly got mildew about 2 months early. You literally saved his life.:love::love::love:
Please can we all group together & help this bunny.

Are blackberry leaves what is needed? I have some growing near me that I could collect. Unfortunately my own supply was left in the garage by our house sitters and went mouldy :(

Are blackberry leaves what is needed? I have some growing near me that I could collect. Unfortunately my own supply was left in the garage by our house sitters and went mouldy :(

Thank you so much.
It's people like you who make me feel proud to be a RU forager.:love::love::love:
They're fantastic. It's all we had for bunny tummy issues before vet medicine started for bunnies.
If you could just dry off any rain, They'll transport well in a carboard box if you put a layer of kitchen roll or newspaper between each layer of leaves.

Thank you so much.
It's people like you who make me feel proud to be a RU forager.:love::love::love:
They're fantastic. It's all we had for bunny tummy issues before vet medicine started for bunnies.
If you could just dry off any rain, They'll transport well in a carboard box if you put a layer of kitchen roll or newspaper between each layer of leaves.

great! i'll collect some tomorrow morning :) glad to help :wave:

Just seen this thread. Thank you so so much!! That is so lovely. I really am so grateful. It's lovely to have the support of people who know what's going on and how dispiriting it is to be trying so hard for a lovely furry family member but not really succeeding. :wave::love::thumb:

I'm sorry I didn't reply to this. Just in case you didn't know, they need to have all the rain moisture dried off immediately. then if you're going to store them they need to be dried - kept in a dry place & a carboard box with small ventilation holes. But it sounds as if your house sitters didn't know.

Just seen this thread. Thank you so so much!! That is so lovely. I really am so grateful. It's lovely to have the support of people who know what's going on and how dispiriting it is to be trying so hard for a lovely furry family member but not really succeeding. :wave::love::thumb:

I know what it's like only too well.
My heart was literally breaking over Thumper. "Please, don't let me loose you just because I can't feed you"
You're NOT failing, you've tried your hardest & need a bit of help.

I can get tons - both bramble and also plantain - hard to get at this time of year but i have a source as its been so mild.

I will have to charge postage as we are so poor right now (hence selling willow sticks on my other threads).

Would that be ok if I just asked for some postage?? Sorry to have to but we need every penny we have for Coltsfoots dentals and our up coming vaccines for half of the 36 buns.

Can forage be sent in a padded envelope or will the bubble wrap make it sweat? I have boxes of bramble, plantain, dandelion and strawberry but P&P for a box will be too much I think (sorry, I sound so mean :( but ££ is tight lol!)

Can forage be sent in a padded envelope or will the bubble wrap make it sweat? I have boxes of bramble, plantain, dandelion and strawberry but P&P for a box will be too much I think (sorry, I sound so mean :( but ££ is tight lol!)
Thank you. I really appreciate your responses. I'm very aware that pennies are tight for many people.
You're really :love::love::love:

If it's really well dried it will easily withstand a few days in bubble wrap.:D

Everyone: these offers are really lovely. Thanks so much.

I would always pay postage. Just let me know cost and how. :)

I am off out tomorrow to see if I can find a good source of brambles further from home so will keep you posted. Anyone with any spare at the moment though, I'd be so grateful. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everyone: these offers are really lovely. Thanks so much.

I would always pay postage. Just let me know cost and how. :)

I am off out tomorrow to see if I can find a good source of brambles further from home so will keep you posted. Anyone with any spare at the moment though, I'd be so grateful. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PM me your address and I will try and send something by the weekend.

anything you want other than bramble and plantain?

I will PM my paypal for postage once have sorted what will send.

If sending 1st class can send 'medium package' for £3 cost of postage if under 1 kilo weight. Large boxes cost £5.40 myhermes.

Brambles will last for days in a box but plantain wont last beyond a couple of days. .

I also sell willow sticks (see my other threads) if thats useful - 1 kilo for £5 plus postage.

Please can everyone who can help Hector send even a little, cos even a little adds up to alot.
A full sized conti can eat as much as 1/4 bale of hay a day:shock:

Although there are brambles around with the mild weather, we've had about 4 episodes of torrential rain here & surrounded by steep hills used by bikers. The country lanes I use are impassable. The rain has washed them away leaving potholes over 1' deep :shock: I can't get the car down them.
My Benjie is a non hayeater to reduce the dust for his snuffles. This is because the vet thought he wouldn't survive the year.
I could only manage some hawthorn twigs, dried dandelion, & blackthorn.
I can't respond as I would like to the emergency.
Just off to try the copse again. (Wish I had some ski poles :lol:)

I'm off to Post office with a box of goodies in a few mins :)

Will be amusing to see his face when he asks what i'm sending and I reply "dried leaves" :lol:

Fresh plantain picked and sent today. Several large boxes of all sorts incl bramble second cut hay willow sticks and more fresh forage being sent Monday Hector will wonder what's happened!!!!

Sorry if I sound thick but totally new to foraging, do you mean that you want the leaves from blackberry brambles? If so how do you dry them, is it just a case of wiping moisture off them or do they need drying out in say an airing cupboard? If this is what you need I think I should be able to find plenty on my dad's farm. Is it safe if I only pick high up leaves as I know there are lots of wild rabbits around and I would be worried about miximytosis ( sp?) what is the best way to package them? Sorry for all the questions but would love to help if I can but don't want to get it wrong!

Back