• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Been severely let down and now Poppy is in danger (U/D 16.30)

Whitelighter

Warren Scout
So we had to go away for three days over the Christmas break.

My parents are lovely but not really animal people so I didn't feel that they'd spend more than the absolute minimal time with Poppy outside of feeding her and wouldn't have her at their house. I also didn't think they'd pick up on any illness signs etc. they have the 'it's just a rabbit' view point.

We know (distantly) a couple if other rabbit owners and one said she'd look after Poppy and Smokey while we were away. Great thinks I.

How wrong can I be.

Poppy gas been a bit odd the last week. She's not as friendly as she used to be, she's been digging everywhere, through info hay around in her hutch etc. well now I know why. The rabbit sitter says it was her niece, but Poppy was allowed to mix with their bucks as 'she looked lonely'!!!!

And I told them explicitly she wasn't spayed!

So now I think my little girl is pregnant. Obviously if she is it was over the three days she was away, I've tried palpating but can't feel anything. At 4 1/2 will she be able to deliver any kits? The vet didn't want to spay until 6 months but do I go for an emergency spay?

I'm so totally ****** off I can't even speak to the person who had her. And what worse is I feel like my lovely friendly rabbit isn't my best snuggly floppy strokes girl anymore.

Last edited:
I'm so sorry this has happened.I can completely understand how angry you must be.

My girl Rosie was spayed at 4 months with no ill effects and my vet is very rabbit savvy. I know some vets like to wait till they are six months especially when they are a larger breed because they take longer to develop but she is very young to be having a litter of babies. She is only a baby herself :(

Best of luck whatever you decide to do.

Sent from my GT-I9001 using Tapatalk 2

Whilst pregnancy is a possibility her behaviour may be simply that she has reached puberty. So hormonal yes, but not pregnancy hormonal.

Your Vet could do an U/S which may detect a pregnancy, if there is one. It is now almost 14 days since Christmas, so if conception did occur it is really too late for a spay. She would almost certainly have to progress with the pregnancy.

It is not impossible for a Doe to conceive at 4 months, but in the last 17 years I have never known of it to happen

:shock: was this a professional pet sitter?

I would definitely call your vet and explain the situation. It's usual to wait for 6 months but some vets will spay sooner.

I only really know about mini lops. It is best to wait until the female is 6 months old before letting her have a litter but I have heard of does having safe litters at 5 months.
Sorry can't be much help as I don't have any experience of emergency spays either.

I may be wrong but I think an emergency spay has to be done in the first 10 days of pregnancy, so may be too late :(

It is possible for her to safely deliver but she may not look after them.. A first litter is hit and miss from what I had read, and at that age she may just not be ready :(

:shock: was this a professional pet sitter?

I would definitely call your vet and explain the situation. It's usual to wait for 6 months but some vets will spay sooner.

No, not a professional ( lesson learnt there) but someone who is rabbit savvy (or so I thought) she keeps her pair in a shed/run set up with loads of toys, hay diet etcetera - everything a good bunny mummy should provide I felt Poppy would be safe.

We were away from 27th till the 30th, so IF she conceived during that time it's 10-12 days. Is that still too late?

Any idea what an ultrasound might cost?

Daisy my mini lop was spayed at just over 4 months and was absolutely fine. But obviously for the reasons already stated if poppy is actually pregnant just won't be possible now. But I see no reason why you can't take her to the vet explain the situation and if she isn't pregnant get her spayed as soon as possible.

I may be wrong but I think an emergency spay has to be done in the first 10 days of pregnancy, so may be too late :(

It is possible for her to safely deliver but she may not look after them.. A first litter is hit and miss from what I had read, and at that age she may just not be ready :(

Thanks Jane.

I'm not worried about the kits (does that sound horrid - I suppose it must) but I am worried about complications with Poppy being so young.

It does sound like we'd be too late for an emergency spay.

I would call up your vets if he is rabbit savvy and get her checked over and see what they think. They could then tell you the cost of an ultrasound if they feel it necessary.

Hopefully she will return to her normal self once whatever it is is sorted. I remember Doughnut intently digging making a nest when she needed spaying. I can't remember her behaviour changing that much but every rabbit is different. Doughnut was spayed at 6 months but they do spay at 4 months but she was too little so she had to wait as they like them to get to a certain weight.

Poor little Poppy.

No, not a professional ( lesson learnt there) but someone who is rabbit savvy (or so I thought) she keeps her pair in a shed/run set up with loads of toys, hay diet etcetera - everything a good bunny mummy should provide I felt Poppy would be safe.

We were away from 27th till the 30th, so IF she conceived during that time it's 10-12 days. Is that still too late?

Any idea what an ultrasound might cost?

Vets all set their own fees so you would need to ask your own Vet for a quote.

I would call up your vets if he is rabbit savvy and get her checked over and see what they think. They could then tell you the cost of an ultrasound if they feel it necessary.

Hopefully she will return to her normal self once whatever it is is sorted. I remember Doughnut intently digging making a nest when she needed spaying. I can't remember her behaviour changing that much but every rabbit is different.

Poor little Poppy.

Poppy has been completely different for about a week.

Still tolerated nose rubs but not for long, doesn't flop near be, digs (or tries) everywhere. She is acting exactly as her mum Rosie did when pregnant, but until today I ruled that out as we've kept her away from intact boys.

Going to the vets at 4.15 - I guess she either is or isn't and time will tell

Last edited:
Let us know how she gets on.

The digging can be that she needs spaying so fingers crossed that's what it is.

Back from the vet with a freshly shaved bunny and the answer is....

Inconclusive.

Poppy is one hairy bunny and rabbits are hard to scan anyway apparently but the vet could feel some small lumps and also there was nothing conclusive on the scan there were some suspicious black holes.

Short story is we think with about 70% certainty she is pregnant. My poor little girl.
The good news (if that's what it is) is that the vet thinks she will have no problem carrying and delivering them as she is fit, healthy and quite a big rabbit (2.3kg). I have friends who lost their rabbit just before Christmas who want a pair to replace Buster so I could find homes for a couple. As for the rest, I am assuming about 4-6 in total, (only based on the fact Poppy came from a litter of 4 and daddy came from a litter of just 2 - I am aware it could be 8 or 9 mind) I guess it would solve the companion problem for Poppy and then some :(

At least I've had a pregnant rabbit before so at least I know what to expect and what Poppy will need. We did discuss a spay but the later it goes the riskier it gets and if there is little danger in letting her carry and deliver then that is what I am minded to do

You might end up with less, I think first time mothers can sometimes lose a few of their kits so even if she does have 4-6 to begin with it might not be that many in the end.

You might end up with less, I think first time mothers can sometimes lose a few of their kits so even if she does have 4-6 to begin with it might not be that many in the end.

Thanks.

My last charge (Rosie) was a first time mum and had 4. She was a really good mummy though and did everything right, bless her.

She was a lot older than Poppy though conceiving at 11 months old

Wow I can't believe your petsitter would do that, at least without asking you first! :shock:

I hope everything goes ok for Poppy! Sending vibes

Oh dear, poor Poppy. Fingers crossed she is either not pregnant, or if she is, that she has an easy pregnancy and birth and is a good mummy to the little kits. I wouldn't speak to that couple again if it were me, I can't believe they did that! :evil:

Wow I can't believe your petsitter would do that, at least without asking you first! :shock:

I hope everything goes ok for Poppy! Sending vibes

Even if they did ask they might not know about the genetics, the size of the rabbit may have been too much of a difference so the kits would be too big or something etc etc.

I can't believe that has happened, I'm fuming for you! I'd have gone ape ****! Will she be paying for some of the vaccinations, spays/castrations of the kits if she is pregnant?

Thanks everyone.

Well I guess in about 20 days we'll find out for sure.

At least if it is the worst then they'll be some baby bunny pics for you to squeeeee over.

No, I'll have to carry the can on vacs and ops. Fortunately we both have very good jobs so actually the cost isn't the issues as much as the risk to my poor little pops.

She's currently sulking at the back of her puppy cage licking her bald tummy. She even turned her back on my offer if banana just now :(

Back