• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Indoor bun, never been outside :?

Persie

Warren Scout
Persie is an indoor bun, he is almost 9 months old now and has never been outdoors, barr the two times we took him to the vet and he was in his carrier. He is extremely gentle natured and frightened of unusual noises. If we have the back or front door open and he is about he freezes and just stares, I doubt he would ever attempt to go outside because it’s unusual to him.

What I’m wondering is, are we being cruel by not letting him go outside? Not to live I mean but just to see what it’s like out there? We have thought of getting a pen in the garden for him to go out in better weather with us watching but honestly deep down we both know it would scare him, we have many dogs, kids etc nearby and he is used to quietness of our house being a young couple.

I don’t want him to be missing out on the outdoors but if it will cause him stress then is it worth it? My partner thinks its best we don’t let him outside and says our house is safe, he gets daylight and fresh air through the windows & he is happy :?

Charlie is 6 in April and doesn't go outside. I tried to get him used to it when he was young and he HATED it, really really hated it, so he hasn't been out in a few years. I don't think it's cruel at all, as long as he's happy then it's fine! If mine liked it outside they'd go out more often but I don't see the point in forcing them.

At the minute it wouldn't be the best thing anyway because of the temp different between indoors and outdoors, if you want to try taking your bun out I'd wait until it warms up a bit :)

Doughnut is an indoor rabbit but she loves going outdoors as she loves eating and playing on the grass. She often looks out the glass conservatory door and I think she wishes she was out there for a play!

I put her in a run in the summer but I'm always about but she's not a frightened rabbit. Maybe put your rabbit in the run with you sitting beside it and see if he likes it. If you stay with him it should reassure him. If not then I wouldn't worry. Rabbits don't have to go outside and if they are stressed then it's best they don't.

Poppy is the same. She was an outdoor rabbit for 3 years before getting poorly and coming inside where she has stayed! She likes going into the conservatory and we open the doors onto a puppy pen but she stays inside. Leo loved it though so hopefully Kerbie will when it warms up :D

I've been told I'm cruel for having outdoor rabbits :lol: I'd love to have them inside if there was enough room, but they hate it! They need to stay in over night tomorrow because of a GA so that will be fun. Maybe I'll record how they behave and that can be my two fingers up to the people who have messaged me saying I a bad rabbit owner :lol:

But yeah, Poppy is a queen now. Lives in luxury indoors :lol: I think she resents me for keeping her outside :lol:

Poppy is the same. She was an outdoor rabbit for 3 years before getting poorly and coming inside where she has stayed! She likes going into the conservatory and we open the doors onto a puppy pen but she stays inside. Leo loved it though so hopefully Kerbie will when it warms up :D

I've been told I'm cruel for having outdoor rabbits :lol: I'd love to have them inside if there was enough room, but they hate it! They need to stay in over night tomorrow because of a GA so that will be fun. Maybe I'll record how they behave and that can be my two fingers up to the people who have messaged me saying I a bad rabbit owner :lol:

But yeah, Poppy is a queen now. Lives in luxury indoors :lol: I think she resents me for keeping her outside :lol:

My rabbits HATE it indoors! I have tried to bribe them in with allsorts of treats but they're just not bothered!
When we lost Wilbur and I got Miranda to bond with Otis I had to keep them inside together in a cage overnight and I felt really bad (particularly for Otis, I don't know that much about Miranda's history apart from the bit the rescue could tell me).
Luckily they hit it off straight away and have been outside ever since. They have a summerhouse and permanent access to a run, which is where they spend most of their time!
I certainly don't think it's cruel keeping bunnies outside as long as they have good shelter and somewhere snug and dry :love:

Back