• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Over-grooming

Alfagirl

Mama Doe
As some of you know, Oliver is currently being treated for EC, but his partner Maisey is overgrooming him - to the extent that he now has a bare patch on his neck.

I cannot let it become a scab (he is already flighting off EC, he doesn't need a skin problem too!), so how do I get her to stop?!

Does anyone have any tips / tricks? They are in the livingroom and I can stop it when we see it, but we can't physically be with them 24/7.

Is she bored? Annoyed? Does he smell funny?
He spends a lot of time rolling / asleep in their litter tray, so is a bit 'musty' smelling - is it that do you think?

I'm at a complete loss!

Oh flip Jane - of course!

He had Metacam, Baytril and Metocolpromide (sp?) on the back of his neck just before Christmas - do they cause reactions?

Yep, can do. Especially Baytril. Have a good look on the effected area, there may well be evidence of 'Baytril Burn'.

Will do - thank you so much!

Honestly, you are the fountain of all bunny knowledge! :love:

Yes, indeed. I was reading a rescue website about rabbit care and thinking (a tad smugly) 'We have our own rabbit expert on RU' :D

Meant to update this last night - I'm pretty certain it's the injection site.

There's 2 small red dots right in the middle, and it's appears more like a spreading bit of scabby skin, than the classic 'over-grooming' hairlessness (I've only seen it in dogs, but imagine it would be similar).

Also, watching them all evening, Maisey didn't groom him there at all, just his ears. I think if it was that bad from grooming, she'd have to be doing it all the time.

Back