• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Wanderer Returns / Bunny Not Eating

kazz

Alpha Buck
Hello everyone, I'm sorry I only seem to appear when problems arise, I don't have time to sit anymore!

I come in search of advice. Here's a bit of background on Mia. She had a problem previously eating loads of normal poos, moving around when she ate and generally looking miserable. Tried antibiotics and painkillers but she ended up having a dental and an xray. No abscess showed up and after buying probiotic pellets and timothy hay, she seemed better.

Just before xmas Mia started eating excessive normal poos again and looking a bit miserable while eating less hay. Took her to the vets and they said although she had very slight spurs they weren't touching and the vet wouldn't advise putting her under the risk of the anaesthetic. Christmas Eve I gave her some loxicom from what we had before and proceeded over xmas with it. We've been back a second time after xmas and the vet gave more painkiller and said that she could see spurs but again they weren't bad (she said Marley's were worse than hers but his don't affect him), so she said see how long she is before she gets worse and when you're ready just book straight for the dental.

These last few days she hasn't been eating normal poos so I thought maybe she was feeling better. She refused the probiotic pellets a few days ago but then had a couple and more excel ones. This morning, fine, wanting to eat, tonight she's refused the whole lot. Mint herbs, excel and probiotic. After some persuasion she's had about or less than a handful of mint leaves and about 4 excel pellets but not a great deal.

I'm guessing ringing the emergency line and trying to book her in for a dental tomorrow won't be acceptable. Hopefully I can ring at 8 and see if theres a spare slot tomorrow and fingers crossed I can get to work after in time. I have recovery sachets - should I give her some of that to get her through the night? More painkiller? I gave her some at quarter to 8 this morning 0.43ml.

Any advice greatly appreciated as a very worried mum looks on.

Sorry I was not around last night so this reply is rather late. I hope that the Vet can admit her today. Some Rabbits are exceptionally sensitive as far as sharp teeth go. They will stop eating or become picky eaters at the slightest sharp point on a tooth.

Good luck today xx

A very late reply however after two hours she ate enough for me to be happy to go to sleep. She had a very gurgly tummy when I picked her up to check her over and after a bit of chasing and constant trying she started. Such a relief, took her the next day just to check and the vet said there'd been no change, there's not been any episodes since so this weekend I'm going to take her for her teeth checked again just to monitor them.

Thanks for your reply though Jane, means a lot, shes definitely a lot more sensitive than Marley xx

Back