• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A horrid weekend.

Vanessa.B

Mama Doe
Spring was uninterested in food on Saturday morning and looked miserable so off to the vet's we went, especially after she was hospitalised for five days less than a month ago. I had already zantaced and metacamed her so the vet gave her some metaclop as there was nothing else untoward to be seen/felt. Thankfully by tea time and two syringe feeds later she was back to normal.

Then on Sunday BJ was the same - miserable and uncomfortable. As he doesn't get stressed by being indoors I kept him in after I had given him some meds. He felt very cold and seemed to appreciate having his tummy against me. After syringe feeding him and when he felt warmer I took him back to Rosie along with three heat pads. When I checked on him an hour later he was much perkier and was nibbling some hay and then later tucked into his tea with gusto.

It cannot be a coincidence both bunnies being off at the same time. There was nothing untoward in their litter trays before or after and they have not been given anything different at all as far as food goes. I can only assume that something affected them but as to what I have no idea. I am just so relieved they are now fine, my stress levels were going through the roof.

I am in awe of those of you coping with more than one poorly bun at a time.

I did wonder about a predator. I had a suspicion Spring was out of sorts late on Friday night when I took their suppers out. She did eat hers, but seemed spooked. Despite living on the edge of the moors I have never seen or heard a fox and now that we have had the back fenced in it is less likely that a fox would appear I think. However I am pretty sure there was an owl in the trees behind the garden not so longer ago.

I've had the same experience with first Anakin on 28th December and then Elijah on New Year's Eve.

You don't by any chance feed Tesco spring greens do you? Some of the fussier bunnies are refusing to eat them and it's all I can come up with in my crew. Both buns are moulting though so that's a more likely explanation.

I've had the same experience with first Anakin on 28th December and then Elijah on New Year's Eve.

You don't by any chance feed Tesco spring greens do you? Some of the fussier bunnies are refusing to eat them and it's all I can come up with in my crew. Both buns are moulting though so that's a more likely explanation.

Do you thoroughly wash those? They are well known to cause tummy issues in bunnies due to the chemicals they are sprayed with :( There are dozens of threads on RU about it.

Do you thoroughly wash those? They are well known to cause tummy issues in bunnies due to the chemicals they are sprayed with :( There are dozens of threads on RU about it.

Yes. I wash all veg thoroughly, soak them in luke warm water then rinse. I feed them daily and we go months without issues then suddenly a few stasis episodes within a short space of time. The cabbages look different somehow, not to do with chemicals but the leaves are harder, the cabbages fuller. I try not to blame the cabbages but with 3 or 4 bunnies refusing them, I can't help but wonder if they were the cause.

I know dozens of people who stopped feeding them completely due to exactly this reason. I'm one of them!

Glad to know that. I do get the odd Tesco order.

LOVE your new sig. Beautiful picture of your darling.

Back