• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

help identifying rabbit breed (pics)

hi welcome to the forum such a lovely bunny :love: where abouts are you based, if your in the uk, then he be a mini lop, whereas cer in the usa our mini lop is referred to as Holland lop :wave:

i live in the us but hollands and minis are different, hollands generally only get to about 4lbs and minis can get up to 6 or 7.

also this may be a stupid question but are their noses supposed to be a little bit wet? when he sniffs me it feels wet but its not discolored. im a new bunny owner haha :3

In the UK we have Mini as the smallest and Dwarf as the next size up. In the US you have Holland as the smallest and Mini as the next size up. Different names but same breed standards! But both as babies look pretty much the same! What does he weigh?

And no, the nose should not be wet, get your bun to the vets ASAP as he may well have the beginnings upper respiratory infection, where did you get him from? Pet shop rabbits get respiratory problems often.

If he's new anyway it's best getting a good bunny vet MOT, getting eyes, teeth, everything checked over. And sexed, you may have a she ;)

i got him from a pet shop that got him from a breeder that week. i'm not too concerned about the nose because others on different forums said it can be normal it just depends on the bunny so i'm going to keep an eye on him. hes eating and drinking normal and seems energetic. we're planning to get him neutered when hes 3-4 months so if it's still a problem we'll mention it. the wet nose seems to come and go, i'm planning on changing his bedding tonight.

Sometimes they can have a slightly damp feeling nose where they washed/drunk. But the fur around it shouldn't be permanently wet. Another place to check is the inside of the front legs, as rabbits wash a lot they can groom away discharge making a problem less obvious but it use results in wet or matted feeling fur on the front legs as that's what they wipe their nose with :)

Don't forget you'll need vaccinations, your bun should already be old enough for them and the vet will do a health check at the same time so it's a good opportunity to raise your concern a bit earlier :)

/his legs are dry! :D how should i go about starting litter training?

Boys can be very easy to litter train, and it's much easier when they are neutered too but you can start now :D I found the best way to litter train my Stephen was to see where he pooped the most and pop the litter tray down there. Unfortunately for me that was in a very awkward position so I then moved his litter tray once it smelled of him as he had wee'd and pooped in it and he followed his tray.

A lot of bunnies once they have picked somewhere will stick with that one place, so you might just have to pop the litter tray down where he poops and hope it's in a convenient place! :lol: Is he an indoor bunny? What sort of set up is he in? The other thing I did with Stephen was to keep him in his indoor cage for 2-3 hours when he first came home so he knew that was his space and where he needed to go, where he could be safe and not bothered etc and so he uses it.

Make sure there is lots of hay in the litter tray as they like to munch whilst pooping! :thumb:

i live in the us but hollands and minis are different, hollands generally only get to about 4lbs and minis can get up to 6 or 7.

:thumb: yes i kno which is why I asked is you where based in usa, as we don't have Holland lop. ours being smallest mini lop, whereas as you say your mini lops are larger breeds

he/she is only a baby so abit of growing until we know, did wherever you got him from not tell you? he looks like could be Holland lop

the guy that sold him to me told me he was a mini lop, and someone else that i know that had rabbits saw a picture of him and told me he was a holland lop so thats why i'm confused

Last edited:
Back