• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit moulting

~Chey~

Young Bun
I've been noticing that all throughout Christmas my rabbit has been moulting a LOT. Is there anything I can do to try and prevent this? No matter the amount of grooming or time spent with him is seeming to help and as I have a partner with high allergies its becoming a bit of a problem to let Peter onto his (our) beloved bed :lol:
Is it normal for him to be moulting this much or should I be concerned? I always expected his coat to change as he grew but that hasn't happened as of yet!
Any help would be greatly received :love:

My bunny sheds a lot over winter. And then again in summer.

Maybe make sure he has no mites or a skin condition?
If that's all fine then brush him as much as you can.

Loose fur can get caught on bunnys tracts and cause problems. They aren't like cats and dogs. When they get furballs they can slow the digestive tract causing gi stasis. X

Nope! One of my indoors seems to moult all year round.. Poppy is moulting at the moment so fur everywhere! Brushing doesn't even touch the sides..! It's just one of those things as rabbit owners we have to cope with.

Defiantly no skin condition ect. I used to groom rabbits at a local rescue but Peter moults rediculous amounts in comparison to all of those bunnys so I was a bit concerned, haha!
Just means I can now dedicate even more time to 'grooming' & have plenty more bunny cuddles... :love:

Back