• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

odour control?

mokwa32

Alpha Buck
Hi guys:wave:

So Binx is living in a puppy pen in my livingroom. Im looking for good ideas for keeping my livingroom smell nice. I have a plug in, a scented candle and im changing his litter daily. Im cleaning each day in there, but its still a bit musty:roll: I dont know what else to try? Id appreciate any ideas please. Thankyou.

Mags :)

Sorry but scented candles will irritate bunny's nose and he could develop Snuffles which is a nightmare and sometimes impossible to cure.

I have 9 rabbits indoors at the moment but there is no smell. They get cleaned out morning and evening so I am not sure what you can smell. Is it the hay? What kind of substrate do you use?

I am not sure what a plug-in does so can't comment on that. Is your rabbit eating all his cecals and if not you will have to look at his diet.

I agree with Tonibun, a plug in or any sort of artifical fragrance in the room could be very bad for Binx.

Ludo lives indoors and the only smell is hay. I can't smell it any more but friends say they like the smell. He has hay and newspaper and uses a hutch as his litter tray so all droppings/wee are inside behind the door. He's cleaned every day and I can never smell him.

The only way I find to air out stuffy smells is to open the window for an hour or so.

As has been said air fresheners of any kind can cause awful problems for buns so please take them out of the room. I have housebun with litter tray in living room. I use compacted paper litter with small amount of wood shavings then straw on top and lots of hay. The hay is the smelly bit:lol: as it always smells of hay aka musty. I find my bun uses his litter tray alot in the mornings so I change it at lunchtime if possible. I also find that fresh droppings can smell for a bit but I cover them with handful of shavings and straw if I am in house and this stops any smell.

I assume your bun is neutered as unneutered bunnies in a house is not good and they smell more.

Another thought - is your bun very good with litter tray as if bun is weeing in the room outside of litter tray this will pong!

Good luck as a housebun is such fun.

Eeeek :shock: didn't know about the candle ect.... candle removed and so is the plug in :D

The smell of hay doesnt bother me. I wonder if he has been spraying? He wasn't neutered, but actually went this morning and he has just woken up and im collecting him at 4pm. It might be his droppings as when he has free run he was popping all over. Hopefully he will use the litter tray now especially as he is to be kept in his pen for a week (vet said) iv just lifted my old rug so that may have been holding pee smells? Thankyou so much for the advice about the candles ect....... iv not read that anywhere. I cant wait to get him home safe.

Ps. Please forgive my ignorance iv only had him 3 weeks, he is my first bun.

Neutering should help a lot, unneutered bucks tend to smell :mrgreen: I tend to open the windows too to get rid of musty smells. I find if I have to keep the door to their room closed for a while it tends to be stuffy and a bit uncomfortable but opening one small window and the door helps a lot.

Aww don't worry about not knowing things - we all had to learn. I joined here 2 years ago and the amount I learnt from everyone is amazing.

I think the being uneutered and not litter tray trained is your problem. Some buns train themselves, mine did it from the off but some buns will never train. What I have found though is if I put the litter tray in the wrong place my bun tries to move it and then does some dry droppings in the place he wants it:lol: When we moved house I put it in the wrong place and he spent ages trying to drag this big litter tray and then he left a pile of droppings in the place he wanted it so I moved it and he has been fine since. So put litter tray in pen when he is home and see which corner he uses and put it there. Not foolproof but you never know:thumb:

Sorry but scented candles will irritate bunny's nose and he could develop Snuffles which is a nightmare and sometimes impossible to cure.

I have 9 rabbits indoors at the moment but there is no smell. They get cleaned out morning and evening so I am not sure what you can smell. Is it the hay? What kind of substrate do you use?

I am not sure what a plug-in does so can't comment on that. Is your rabbit eating all his cecals and if not you will have to look at his diet.

Thankyou for your reply. Im not sure what you meen by substrate? But yes he eats all his cecals as he tends to do them in the afternoon when he is in his pen, I never see any laying about:) im using cat litter, is this ok? I took the candle and plug in out of the room.

don't use candles or scented things as others have said. a natural way is to leave baking soda or white vinegar around the room. it naturally absorbs odours. i put it in tealight holders so it looks nice. :thumb:

I'm sure that the problem has been that he was unneutered, unfixed bucks give off a distinctive musky scent :mrgreen:

neuter your bun once he is old enough, also litter train if not already, buy a litter tray, put in either wood pellets or, paper based shredded material topped with hay,(note do not use wood shaving they cause irritation and respiratory problems) rabbits soon learn just place where you see bunny going to the toilet most, and pick up if he/she has any accidents and move to litter tray add some of their droppings to give them the idea, reward them when done with alittle treat :wave:

Aww don't worry about not knowing things - we all had to learn. I joined here 2 years ago and the amount I learnt from everyone is amazing.

I think the being uneutered and not litter tray trained is your problem. Some buns train themselves, mine did it from the off but some buns will never train. What I have found though is if I put the litter tray in the wrong place my bun tries to move it and then does some dry droppings in the place he wants it:lol: When we moved house I put it in the wrong place and he spent ages trying to drag this big litter tray and then he left a pile of droppings in the place he wanted it so I moved it and he has been fine since. So put litter tray in pen when he is home and see which corner he uses and put it there. Not foolproof but you never know:thumb:

Aw that's a funny story, and so true for Binx too! When I took him home he kept doing his droppings in a certain place, so I moved his tray there. Then I rearrange his pen and he went bananas so I had to put it all back the right way haha:lol:

Rabbits like to eat while they poo, so the best litter tray is a nice big box like an underbed storage box (£3 from Asda or similar) with newspaper, wood or paper litter and topped with lots of hay.

Doughnut always chucks her litter tray out of her hutch when it's open, she doesn't seem to want it in there. She free ranges during the day but at night she's in her hutch with her playpen attached, so the litter tray with all the hay in it has to go back in. It is funny as she's only a little bunny and the litter tray is heavy and big but she uses her teeth and nose and manages to get it out.

Def think the smell was related to him being entire, they have a very distinctive smell and will often spray up walls and on carpet :mrgreen: always reminded me of cheesy Dorito's :mrgreen: :lol:

Back