• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New to rabbit care and have a few questions

Pa7ch

New Kit
alright so i adopted my first rabbit a few days ago a female Californian cross. I have determined she is indeed a she (and intact) and is about 8 months old. Now comes the question: Would it be in the the rabbit's (Peter) best interest to invest in a second rabbit for companionship? I have the finances to support two rabbits. Also would i need to worry about spaying Peter sooner rather than later if i do decide to adopt another rabbit? The rabbit I am looking at adopting is currently between 3 and 4 months old. Any insight would help. Thanks!

Hi :wave:, welcome to RU. I wouldn't attempt to bond bunnies who hadn't been neutered as it'll most likely end in a fight (just too many hormones flying around). I would have your existing bunny neutered first, wait a couple of months for her to heal and her hormonal behaviour to settle and THEN start looking for a friend. Ideally, adopt a bunny who has already been neutered but if that's not possible, you will need to get the new one neutered ASAP, allowing time for healing etc before introducing them.

Hi :wave:, welcome to RU. I wouldn't attempt to bond bunnies who hadn't been neutered as it'll most likely end in a fight (just too many hormones flying around). I would have your existing bunny neutered first, wait a couple of months for her to heal and her hormonal behaviour to settle and THEN start looking for a friend. Ideally, adopt a bunny who has already been neutered but if that's not possible, you will need to get the new one neutered ASAP, allowing time for healing etc before introducing them.

Excellent advice....as usual Mackers.:thumb:

Ideally rabbits should be kept in pairs. They generally, there are exceptions of course, love to have company and are much more settled in the company of another rabbit.

As said before, I definitely wouldn't introduce them until they are both neutered, but neutering is very important!

Also, you might be best off going to a rescue for a mate for your bunny, rescues can sometimes offer a bonding service, which takes away the hard work for you. Bonding rabbits can be very stressful, especially if you have never done it before. Plus, you'd be giving another bunny a second chance, and most rescues neuter and vaccinate bunnies for you, so you'd be saving yourself money too.

Obviously you have your eye on the second rabbit so why not get him, have both neutered together, wait for about 6 weeks then you will have 2 neutered buns ready for bonding. Then if you do this, nearer the time, come back for more advice on how to get your rabbits bonded.

Just make sure one is female and one male then you should have an easier time bonding.

Back