• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Quarantine help

ferretfreak4

Warren Scout
Sorry if this is in the wrong place but it does effect the health of my rabbits

Um, long story short I am going to put all my animals in quarantine from each other as much as possible due to having 3 deaths of 3 different species in not only 3 weeks but every sunday! All of which have been unexpected, the animals were only young and 2 living inside and the other outside.

I'm thinking there might be some sort of bug which I'm transferring inadvertantly between them so I am going to try and prevent all contact between not only species but also cages etc so only the animals living in the same cage are able to interact with each other. First thing tomorroe I am going to go around and clean and disinfect each cage/enclosure to try and get rid of anything sinister that may be lurking and will systematically bleach each cage as well but that will take a week or so as I haven't got many spare cages to put them all in. Also keeping all food, substrate etc for each totaly seperate, washing hands between feeding/exercising each and changing clothes if the animal touches them at all.

I have 5 rats all in one cage, 10 gerbils split up into 3 tanks, 3 ferrets outside in a cat run thing, 3 rabbits outside in a converted shed and 7 guinea pigs outside in a converted shed and split into 2 groups. I also have a puppy who lives in the house who I think may have brought something with him as he came on the 13th december and the first animsl died on the 22nd december so he is now being kept well away from all other animals.

Does this all sound alright?
Is there anything else that I should be doing?
Has anyone got any idea what might have caused this?

Thanks for any and all help :)

I think it highly unlikely that the same pathogen was responsible for the deaths. I assume that all three were sudden deaths, you did not notice any symptoms of illness at all ?

Was Bluebelle up to date with her vaccinations ?

As part of the additional hygiene precautions you are taking I would also use separate dustpans and brushes for cleaning each cage/tank/shed.

Back