• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Water on the inside walls of the playhouse

k1984

Mama Doe
With all this horrible rain we've had recently, I have noticed that the inside of Dolly and Clive's playhouse is wet/damp...and the lower corners are very damp too. It's been painted on the outside with a weather protectant, the floor is lined with lino and it is just over a year old. Why is this happening? :?

Hi, our shed which the bunnies are in is the same, and the shed is about 6 months old and treated. We've put it down to just the sheer amount of rain we've had, and permanent dampness. I have been trying to keep the window open which has helped a bit. We also had some white (mould?) appear on the inside, which I wipe off as it appears. Horrible isn't it. Not sure how to stop it long term though, just praying for the warm weather...

I'm guessing it's actually a lack of air-flow rather than water ingress. You must have air vents or air circulation via an open window to avoid condensation. A damp atmosphere is very bad for respiration - bunnies would be far happier in a drafty but dry environment. My shed has a permanently open rabbit flap which is sufficient to let air circulate and stop any condensation.

Our bunny shed is like that too... There is a permanent opening where the air flows in but this hasnt made any differnce.. Poor bunnies.. i feel so sorry for them

Fee x

Our bunny shed is like that too... There is a permanent opening where the air flows in but this hasnt made any differnce.. Poor bunnies.. i feel so sorry for them

Fee x

Have you tried a couple of air vents to let the air circulate, rather than just one opening? Although my shed only has one opening, it's a large flap about 8 inches square and facing the predominant wind direction so there's always air blowing into it.

The playhouse has two circular air vents at the back and I have the window open on the smallest latch all of the time (other than the times we've had storms, when I've closed it as I didn't want the wind to catch it and blow it off!):?

The playhouse has two circular air vents at the back and I have the window open on the smallest latch all of the time (other than the times we've had storms, when I've closed it as I didn't want the wind to catch it and blow it off!):?

Ok, I'm flumoxed then :lol:.

Frosty, Snowflake, Tessie and Daisy's shed is the same. It has two open arch ways (cat flap size quite close together) so that they can get into their run and I regularly open the window but ... I am so worried about their health.

I was wondering about lining it with ply wood and covering the outside walls with roofing felt ...

Our sheds and play houses are wet inside too. They have air vents front and back, a permanent opening for bunnies and are under an aviary roof!!

There is nothing you can really do it is just the huge amount of rain plus the wind blowing it against them :(

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

If you post pictures i can offer some advice?
If you see any gaps you must cover them up.

Sadly a lot of sheds, playhouses and the alike are not built to withstand the type of weather we can have. A tiny gap can create a leak and with a lot of rain and wind you can get this problem.

You ideally need 4 to 8 vents, one at the top on all sides (if very large shed you need two each side) so the air can flow in one way and out the other way in the same direction.

If you post pictures i can offer some advice?
If you see any gaps you must cover them up.

Sadly a lot of sheds, playhouses and the alike are not built to withstand the type of weather we can have. A tiny gap can create a leak and with a lot of rain and wind you can get this problem.

You ideally need 4 to 8 vents, one at the top on all sides (if very large shed you need two each side) so the air can flow in one way and out the other way in the same direction.

Can you just drill some holes in the shed to make vents or do you need some kind of special unit???

I guess you could drill holes but that leave it open for rain, you can buy cheap vents from Tool Station for 73p, http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p58955

But that may not stop the problem.

You can drill holes to go behind the vent to make it easier for you rather than cutting gap out.

To stop the problem ideally depends on the type of shed or playhouse you have and how it's built.

Last edited:
My pigeon loft is the same and has air circulating around it I think it's just the constant dampness in the air.
Don't have any advice on how to stop it though.

Just been looking online and the general concensus seems to be insulating the shed
air vents on at least two walls, high up
some kind of fan to keep air circulating
double glazing the windows
making sure there are no gaps (to let rain in).

I am going to be rather busy!

Just been looking online and the general concensus seems to be insulating the shed
air vents on at least two walls, high up
some kind of fan to keep air circulating
double glazing the windows
making sure there are no gaps (to let rain in).

I am going to be rather busy!

I'm not sure double glazing windows is needed, or a fan.

The vents do need to go just under the roof, if your ply lining i would place timber blocks on the frame to give you a little gap to allow the air to move around the inside between the ply and cladding/frame.

As for the gaps, usually its where the roof frame joins the panels that the gaps are at and or between each panel join.

Back