• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My God, Just Read Something Awful Re Rabbits and Euthanasia *OBVIOUSLY DISTRESSING*

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
Elsewhere someone has posted a link to how to make a DIY Gas Chamber using White Vinegar, Baking Soda and a Plastic bag so that people can euthanise their own Pet. I am shocked, it is a Pet Forum.

My god, just read something awful re rabbits and euthanasia

When i first got into rabbits (many years ago) i had some rabbits dumped on me a few days later i also had babies born (my fault i didn't know how to sex them) i rang rspca to ask for help with them and was told to put the babies (who were snuggled up in their nest) into my FREEZER and leave them for about an hour:(this would KILL them and i wouldn't have to worry about finding homes for them later:shock:needless to say i didn't take up their advice but other's may have:evil:

was it an american site? i found instructions on how to break your rabbit's neck on an american pet site once. i thought it might indicate a difference in cultural attitudes to animals.

oh god I feel sick :cry::censored: reminds me of when I was younger and an elderly man who lived near us bred from his rabbit a number of times, and if the babies weren't right he drowned them in a bucket so I heard :cry:

People do this sort of thing with mice all the time. :(

I'm not sure it is illegal in this country. :? I think if a person can 'prove' that the animals don't suffer, it is legal.

People do this sort of thing with mice all the time. :(

I'm not sure it is illegal in this country. :? I think if a person can 'prove' that the animals don't suffer, it is legal.

That is what the RSPCA told me when I reported a Breeder for 'necking' :cry:

Wow. If people aren't even prepared to pay the small amount to send a pet off peacefully then I can't imagine the neglect whilst actually alive :-(

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

It's not illegal to kill your own pet in the UK provided it's done humanely.
In the US it's not uncommon for people to euthanise their own small animals and feeder breeders do it routinely in the UK to produce snake food using carbon dioxide.
Done properly, it is humane. My concern is that people may botch it which isn't verifiable after death so there'd be naff all anyone could do about it.

In the US it can cost 100s of dollars to see an exotic vet to have an animal euthanised. We are very fortunate here in the UK.

It's not illegal to kill your own pet in the UK provided it's done humanely.
In the US it's not uncommon for people to euthanise their own small animals and feeder breeders do it routinely in the UK to produce snake food using carbon dioxide.
Done properly, it is humane. My concern is that people may botch it which isn't verifiable after death so there'd be naff all anyone could do about it.
ditto.

If I was confident enough that I could put my pets to sleep humanely I would rather do it at home than put them through the stress of going to the vet.
However, I have no idea how someone could be certain this would go to plan if doing it for the first time after reading a how to guide on the internet :(

i don't really see a problem with it as long as it's done humanely. It's more stress free for the animal to euthanize them in their own home than to drive a long way to the vets and wait in the waiting room with a suffering animal.

it would probably be more common because of that but obviously it would be hard to euthanize your own pets. I think it would probably be easier for small animals though e.g. for fish you can pour clove oil in the tank, for mice you can use co2... the larger the animal, the more brutal methods you'd have to take probably(e.g somehow I think using a gun would be harder than co2 for me), and there's more room for mistake in some cases.

Last edited:
Back