• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Not sure what to do with the rabbits

Alicia

Mama Doe
I now work full time, and I work strange hours, sometimes day and sometimes nights which means that on my days off I sleep at strange times too. It feels like these past few months I've always been in a rush and I don't think the rabbits and guinea-pigs are getting the attention they should. I probably spend about 10 minutes with them a day which isn't fair on them. I go out to feed them in the morning and in the evening. I used to feed them at strange times but I've made more of an effort recently to feed them at better times because they shouldn't have to wait for their food, they should have a set time. I love them to bits and don't want to rehome them but I don't know if it would be better for them if they were in a new home where they would get more attention. I used to spend loads of time with them and I wouldn't want them to think I'd stopped caring about them.

I now work full time, and I work strange hours, sometimes day and sometimes nights which means that on my days off I sleep at strange times too. It feels like these past few months I've always been in a rush and I don't think the rabbits and guinea-pigs are getting the attention they should. I probably spend about 10 minutes with them a day which isn't fair on them. I go out to feed them in the morning and in the evening. I used to feed them at strange times but I've made more of an effort recently to feed them at better times because they shouldn't have to wait for their food, they should have a set time. I love them to bits and don't want to rehome them but I don't know if it would be better for them if they were in a new home where they would get more attention. I used to spend loads of time with them and I wouldn't want them to think I'd stopped caring about them.

Well everyone will have their own opinion on this but mine is that you are doing your best you can for your pets, you can't help your working hours & you work to provide them with what they need. If it was a single bun I would worry that they would be lonely but you seem to have a few so they will keep one another happy. Think of the alternative, they are happy & looked after to the best of your ability, they could be in much worse hands and/or living in bad conditions so chin up :D

Personally I dont thimk rabbits care. As long as they are fed and regularly checked on they don't need human company when they have each other.

With the greatest if respect if you are meeting their food, water, appopriate accommodation and medical needs then they don't actually really need your company because they have each other. So I really wouldn't worry that much about it- it's more you that wants to spend time with them, rather than the other way around. Plus life changes and waxes and wanes so you may well find that you can spend more time with them in due course.

Personally I dont thimk rabbits care. As long as they are fed and regularly checked on they don't need human company when they have each other.

This :thumb:. My rabbits certainly only seem to want me when it's breakfast or tea time :lol:. If I had a single bunny then it would be different but pairs or groups don't really need much from you other than care and feeding. Of course, in an ideal world, I would spend much more time with my bunnies but I have to work too.

I work three jobs - all shift work - and live a very chaotic lifestyle. I spend very little time with my bunnies but they seem happy enough with bunny company. I don't have any singles - I am out too much for that - so I have two pairs and a quad. My piggies have each other for company too.

They do get fed at odd times, but there isn't a lot I can do about that as my shifts change so much. The majority of their diet is hay anyway - they get very little else - so as long as I have topped up their hay and water before I go to work, I don't stress too much if they have to wait a bit longer for their Rabbit Royale.

My main concern about only seeing them in the dark is not noticing if one of them is poorly, but I do stop and watch when I let them out in the morning to see if they are moving OK and I make sure they are all nomming when I put the food in. They have their own 'routines' - somebuns explore before food and others nom and then explore. I keep an eye on any differing behaviour, especially on days when I am not working and can spend more time feeding and cleaning them out.

It's a lot easier with my two indoor buns, but again they are happier with each other than with me:(

One of my cats is always with me when I am home. I think she does miss me when I am at work, but she has the bunnies for company (she hates other cats and thinks she is a rabbit!).

Back