• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice re chewing bars

Alison Marie

Wise Old Thumper
Nibbles has started chewing the bars (well, gumming them!) of the dog crate since he's been inside and I can't work out why. Is he upset with the room? :( They are freerange in the bedroom all day and are never locked in the crate so I can't really understand why he just goes over to chew the bars (from the outside, not the inside). They have lots of toys but he doesn't seem to be interested in them.

Lola does this, she has her cage as a base, it is never shut, in fact the front bit got put in the bin. It's just filled with hay and she never toilets in there, but sometimes when she's been eating hay in there, she'll sit and nibble the bars like she can't get out, even though the bars she bites are right near the opening :roll:

Silly bunnehs!

Pierre does it,they have lots of space and toys. Bernadette lies underneath his mouth to try stop him. It's an attention thing.

My bun Digby has tooth root problems; before he was diagnosed and put on daily metacam he used to chew the bars all the time; I think it was a bit like when babies are teething and you give them a teething ring :? He doesn't do it any more. Just something to think about :wave:

My bun Digby has tooth root problems; before he was diagnosed and put on daily metacam he used to chew the bars all the time; I think it was a bit like when babies are teething and you give them a teething ring :? He doesn't do it any more. Just something to think about :wave:

Nibbles had his incisors removed and does have one coming back in - maybe that could be why then?

That does sound likely. Did he have them removed due to root problems or were they mis-aligned? I would speak to your vet about it :wave:

He suffered trauma to them when he was younger, the top ones broke off and grew back misaligned so we thought it best to remove them. :wave::wave: He will be going for his jabs soon so will ask vet then

Back