• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rocky

my aunties dog rocky was out on a walk when he chased after a cat. after the walk she out him back in the house then went to the town and when she came back he was whimpering and holding his back left leg up. She booked him into the vets and the vet checked him and said he could possible have a torn ligement and would need a operation eventually he is 6 so is getting old and grumpy. But a couple of months before that he hurt his back right leg but he was ok. The vet presribed him some metacam and at the vets he had a morphine injection. On the night he was whimpering all night which made my auntie sleep down stairs with him. He is back at the vets tomorrow for a x ray and if he needs a opertaion it could cost up £1500. She was meaning to get him insured when she went on holiday and he was staying with us but she forgot and now if he needs a operation it is going to cost alot. She is going to go through a joint and ligement specialst vet to see if she can get the op cheaper but if not he will always have arthritus and being in pain so she suggested putting him down.

I just hope the op is cheaper and he can have it as he is my best friend.

1005456_10201297940826245_859744280_n.jpg

this is rocky

I wouldn't say that 6 is old for a dog. My Poppy is 14 in a couple of months and has had arthritis for a good 4 or 5 years, she's not in pain or suffering, she just can't walk so far these days.

Unfortunately accidents like this can happen at any point and as owners we need to be prepared for it to happen.

I do hope Rocky can have his op, he's a lovely dog.

A friend of mine is struggling with this right now, 2 years ago her dog did the same thing, and she couldn't afford the operation. She has meds for him to keep him pain free but he does really struggle with walking. He is happy though, still gots lots of life in him, but it really does just show how important it is to have insurance as he's never going to get better without the op.

Hope Rocky is luckier, as it happens, the dog I am talking about is also called. Rocky.

If he's from a rescue would she not consider giving him up and back to them rather than having him PTS?

I know it's a hard decision but would be much kinder in the long run and better than putting him to sleep :(

6 yrs is absolutely not old for a dog.

Most small to medium sized dogs live to 15yrs.
Hope she finds a solution that will allow the dog to live rather than kill an otherwise healthy dog.

Could the PDSA help?

Back