• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What should my rabbits weigh?

Whitelighter

Warren Scout
Poppy and smokey are from the same litter but are quite different in weight. I weighed them today and Poppy is 2.2kg and Smokey is just 1.6kg. They both turned 4 months on January the 2nd.

Smokey isn't really our rabbit as he is a class pet but we see him during the holidays and I have taken on the responsibility for his welfare. That does mean that term time his diet isn't quite as good as Poppy's. It is hay based but he doesn't get as many greens as Pops and his feed is muesli rather than pellets ( trying to change this but school budget are what they are. I've been giving him a mix and sending him back next term with a 4kg bag if exel).

Anyway, I don't know what weight they 'should' be but obviously one if them is off. I have attached some pics taken today. They are a cross bred accident - mum was a medium sized black and white non lop - we guessed English or something. We aren't sure who dad was.

Poppy is the cream harlequin and smokey is the dark grey chap. They normally aren't together as neither a neutered - they have pens next to each other. They are together here just for the comparison photo.

Last edited:
I wouldn't put them together at all when un neutered as they can make babies extremely quickly..

I wouldn't put them together at all when un neutered as they can make babies extremely quickly..

Indeed.

They were together for the time it took to take three quick pics and they were never alone.

I know they're quick but I don't think they are that fast.

It's not necessarily a bad thing esp as they're crossbreeds IMO.

Nibbles was the runt of the litter too, and so has always been much smaller than Buttons, probably about 0.5kg difference normally.

It's not necessarily a bad thing esp as they're crossbreeds IMO.

Nibbles was the runt of the litter too, and so has always been much smaller than Buttons, probably about 0.5kg difference normally.

Thanks for that.

I've been checking and smokey is eating, and he's not skin and bone so maybe like nibbles he's just a littleun

Hi my two are(10 months) and siblings.... Clover is a lot bigger than Buddy but he is healthy and a happy little chap i weigh them every 2 weeks to keep check on him but he maintains well ... they have pellets and fresh veg every day but Buddy goes straight for the pellets and Clover the veg so have cut pellets down to encourage him to eat more veg which appears to be working :) ...

Last edited:
It literally takes a second for rabbits to mate. I don't think anyone would be quick enough to stop them tbh.

My dwarf lop pair aren't related but have a big weight difference. Donny is 3.8kg and Lola is 2.1kg. Even with siblings I imagine it can vary a lot, especially with crossbreeds.

It's very common for the female to be bigger- presumably due to the need to be pushing out babies for bucks and the doe needs to be bigger.

That said, there could be other reasons too, such as different fathers, they inherited just different bits of genes from others, etc.

I had a rabbit litter a good few years ago and all adults ended up differing weights from 1.2kg - 1.7kg, and it was the girl who was 1.7kg. Mum and dad were both 1.7kg too.

I wouldn't worry too much as long as he is getting a healthy diet. If he is being taken home by other children or whatever, then chances are his diet is not as healthy as it should be though, so depending on how his lifetsyle is as class pet, that may well need to change (even if this is a healthy weight).

Back