• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

My bunny is poorly and people think myxi

StarryEyedGirl

Young Bun
My bunny Rogue is poorly. I noticed sores on her nose on New Year's Day and she was sniffly. I took her to a vet and she didn't know what was wrong but gave me Baytril. I had taken her out of her hutch she shares and put Her on her own but vet said to not use straw to prevent irritation so she's in a cage inside ATM (not too warm as heating not working).

So she has 2 sores under nose/above mouth that scab over. Whitish discharge from nose and sneezy/snuffly. I'm giving her 0.4baytril twice a day but no change.

People on the Facebook page sent me here thinking its myxi and to get more
Opinions. I'm back at the vet in the morning also.

photo.php

First off is she vaccinated?

Without seeing the scabs it's hard to tell if it could be irritation from mites which may have started because she's snuffly, or myxi nodules. Vets tend not to see myxi early on as people don't always notice it to start with.

If it is myxi then the nodular version is supposed to be less scary, so that's a plus.

I would expect the baytril to have most effect on the discharge from her nose, not expecting it to affect the scabs.

Not vaccinated yet no haven't had them long. I tried to add a pic but it's not showing. I'll try again now.

photo.php

It's just coming up with a broken photo link each time :/

Is there any swelling around the genitals and ears?

If it's myxi, you're going to need more than baytril.

Bun should also be on metacam for pain relief and inflammation, and you're going to need supportive care items such as syringes and critical care feed. Fine a vet who knows what they're talking about. Good luck x

Thanks Jasmine, i was trying to upload via Facebook so that's probably why it wasn't working.

I wasn't impressed with the vet. My friend took me to one at PAH :/ (companion care?) as mine was shut. I wasn't sure being PAH but she assured me they had been brilliant with her dog, cats and rabbits. The vet didn't have a clue what was wrong. She didn't give me any name of anything wrong. Just said to come back Sunday (tomorrow) and gave me Baytril twice a day and told to bring her in, no straw.

I'm going to go back tomorrow but if nothing resolved and no stronger meds i'm gonna make an appointment asap at my normal vet.

I queried myxi, nodular myxi, pasturella and syphillis and she said no, she said she will "keep an eye" incase it was myxi. I was a bit :/

I think you need to post up in Rabbit Chat asking for a rabbit savvy vet in your area. The vet you have seen clearly has absolutely no idea. Tomorrow try to ring around (if you have not been recommended anywhere by then) and ask the different surgeries if there are any vets with a special interest in rabbits.

It is important that your bun (and your other bun) gets seen by a good vet tomorrow. If it is either myxi or syphilis, both buns will no doubt need treatment as they are both very contagious.

No swellings, sores, discharge etc anywhere else but the nose. I am keeping an eye on ears, eyes and genitals on all 7 bunnies.

If it's myxi the picture suggests it's not typical of either form

The lump looks wrong somehow for myxi and I have seen myxi in many stages

Jacks janes suggestion seems likely though I have not actually seen syphlis myself

Either way you need to find a good rabbit vet in your area rather than the useless one you have seen

If it's myxi the picture suggests it's not typical of either form

The lump looks wrong somehow for myxi and I have seen myxi in many stages

Jacks janes suggestion seems likely though I have not actually seen syphlis myself

Either way you need to find a good rabbit vet in your area rather than the useless one you have seen

My friend with the myxi bun said the nose didn't look typical. I'm veering towards syphilis myself and that requires injectable antibiotics, and your other rabbits will need consideration as well.

Ok I guess that sounds more positive as syphillis is easier treated than myxi.

I'll bring it up again in the morning and see if I can get her to give her the injection instead.

Does anyone know approx cost of syphillis treatment? It cost me £30.89 for consultation and baytril

Looks more like syphilis to me too..... Ive had it... (well not me..... but one of my buns) My bun didnt have any genital swelling at all.... just sores around the mouth...she had peniciling injections, so did her partner as her caught it off her :( so just be prepared to check all buns ....on the up side.... mine were easily treated x

Penicillin injections are relativley cheap x

Back