• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Pat's breathing

catxx

Mama Doe
I wonder if it's just the way she is, but Pat's breathing always seems heavier than Bob's. Not audible, but more visible. I made a little video on my instagram, on here dated today. You should be able to play the video.
http://instagram.com/catxxy

She has no breathing sounds of respiratory distress and the vet listened to her heart before Xmas and it sounded fine. They're due their jabs so will be going back to the vet in a week or so anyway.

She does have an increased respiratory effort. She may have a slightly enlarged heart, this would not necessarily be something that can be detected just by listening to her heart. Or she may have some lung fibrosis. A chest Xray would be helpful, but to obtain adequate ventral views she would need a GA, not ideal really.

I assume that she is spayed ?

What is her exercise tolerance like ?

She does have an increased respiratory effort. She may have a slightly enlarged heart, this would not necessarily be something that can be detected just by listening to her heart. Or she may have some lung fibrosis. A chest Xray would be helpful, but to obtain adequate ventral views she would need a GA, not ideal really.

I assume that she is spayed ?

What is her exercise tolerance like ?

Yes she's spayed and while they do spend a lot of time snoozing, she was charging up and down the stairs today :roll:

I'll have a chat with my vet in a week or so when we go for their jabs. If there was something like enlarged heart or lung issues, what would be the possible treatment if any? Wondering if an x-ray GA is worth it if she is still happy in herself.

They are both 8 years old now.

Last edited:
Yes she's spayed and while they do spend a lot of time snoozing, she was charging up and down the stairs today :roll:

I'll have a chat with my vet in a week or so when we go for their jabs. If there was something like enlarged heart or lung issues, what would be the possible treatment if any? Wondering if an x-ray GA is worth it if she is still happy in herself.

They are both 8 years old now.

By exercise tolerance I mean does her breathing become even more laboured during a lot of activity and does it remain that way for some time once she is at rest again ?

What treatment may be needed would depend entirely on obtaining a diagnosis. There are various medications that can be used to treat heart disease, not to cure it but to control the symptoms. If the problem is related to the lungs then there are various medications which could help that too.

Given her age maybe Arteriosclerosis is another possibility, particularly involving the aorta

http://www.vetstream.com/lapis/Content/Freeform/fre00331.asp

By exercise tolerance I mean does her breathing become even more laboured during a lot of activity and does it remain that way for some time once she is at rest again ?

What treatment may be needed would depend entirely on obtaining a diagnosis. There are various medications that can be used to treat heart disease, not to cure it but to control the symptoms. If the problem is related to the lungs then there are various medications which could help that too.

Given her age maybe Arteriosclerosis is another possibility, particularly involving the aorta

http://www.vetstream.com/lapis/Content/Freeform/fre00331.asp

Ahh, I haven't noticed much change in laboured breathing after she's had a charge around. She does enjoy a nice lie down though.

Will have a chat with the vets and see what they think. Thank you!!

They had their jabs at the vets yesterday and had an MOT.

Vet said her breathing sounded loud BUT both were pretty stressed about being at the vets and being poked and prodded so it was hard to get anything accurate from that.

Weight is normal, teeth are ok but very small spurs on molars, will be monitoring that as they are hay monsters anyway. Eyes fine etc etc.

May book her in for an x-ray next week, better safe than sorry!

Back