• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Are your rabbits nervous around certain people?

casu consulto

Mama Doe
I'm curious over this! :?

One of my rabbits, Edgar, is very nervous (possibly even afraid) of my sister. She's never even touched him as she isn't really keen on the rabbits anyway. She's always sort of disliked him though and I'm starting to wonder if he's aware of it. She can be quite insulting about him and always says he is 'special' (not in a nice way!) as he just sits still or even pins himself to the floor when she is around. Obviously he isn't insulted by the words -- though I am -- but I think perhaps he picks up her tone or the hostility behind it? When she isn't around he's very affectionate and since I've bonded him with my Bella-bunny he's become a very active, amusing little boy. :) My sister thinks I'm lying when I tell her that he binkies up and down the hall and explores all over the place.. Because when she comes downstairs and the two of them are in the hall he retreats to the corner where the doormat is and freezes.

It's odd though.. because my female rabbits tend to ignore or avoid my sister, which suits both parties just fine. My other male rabbit who is a bit more feisty tried to box my sister's ankles once. :roll: I don't think either the bunny or human side is being particularly helpful in resolving these issues!

All mine are initially warey around new people but will not hide away unless they are noisey. They are outside though and I encourage people to look at them but not to go in to their shed or aivery run.

When people have looked after them for me they have said that it takes them a couple of days to get used to them.

It must be distressing when your sister says unkind things about your rabbit.

Five out of six of mine are outdoor rabbits -- they come into the hall during bad weather while we clean them out. They all seem to enjoy being looked at and admired when they're out in the garden. :lol: They seem to especially love little people. I don't think I'd consider any of them to be particularly nervous around people in general. It's strange and not very nice to see Edgar's behaviour change so quickly. :(

She's never really 'approved' of the rabbits. I don't really know why this is. I just ignore any unpleasantness on the topic mostly! It just makes me sad that Ed seems to feel and respond to it.

Back