• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sleepy after GA?

newbabybuns

Warren Veteran
Frankie (3 year old) had a dental today. I had to bring her home tonight (normally at my vet they stay overnight after a GA although there are no staff there overnight) as I am away in Dublin this weekend and no one would be here to pick her up from the vets before they close while they take me to Heathrow.

I brought her home and she was understandably quiet, annoyed with me and a little wary of moving round. I have kept her in her hutch to keep her quiet. She has done a wee, and even started nibbling at a bit of kale and dried dandelion. She bounced over to me earlier and wanted strokes, but now she has gone sleepy again and ignoring kale. Is this normal??

She is scaring me to death laying on her side and I have to prod her to get up, then she moved to her toilet and sat down and closed her eyes. Her routine will have totally changed today, she normally sleeps all morning, but today she would have been awake all that time from being scared in the vets. Do you think it is normal that she is still sleepy? My OH has just gone to her and she is moving around away from him.

I am so stressed, I have to pack my case and leave early tomorrow morning. I wouldn't have booked her for the dental this close to going away, but it was an emergency as she stopped eating hard food two days ago (was still eating kale, and a little hay still though) :(

It can be normal in some rabbits. Where is she, inside or outside? She should be somewhere warm as she won't be able to regulate her body temperature. Is she eating?

She is in the conservatory but she has a heater in there so it is quite warm. She had some kale earlier and a bit of dried dandelion, but now she is ignoring it.

She was laid relaxed slightly on her side with her back leg stretched out, and in her usual tucked up position, (no hunching) but keeps closing her eyes, I wouldn't normally catch her with her eyes closed when she is sleeping in the day.

So wish I wasn't going away, my OH booked it as a surprise and now I don't even want to go :(

If she's not woken up properly later she might need to go back to the veys, however some rabbits do take longer to wake up. Smoo used to. When are you going?

I am leaving at 7 something tomorrow morning, and by the time they get back from driving me the vet will be closed at 12. We have the emergency vet 40 mins away tonight but they won't have access to the records of what she has been given today medicine wise if we go tonight.

As long as she gets through the night :( I could get my OH to take me really early to the airport and come home so he could try and get to the vet with her. She is so difficult to handle aswell, so this complicates matters too.

Get up early and see how she is. She might yet perk up. Make sure you know if she's eaten and pood. I hope she's okay.

Thank you Jenova xx I have offered her some carrot now and another huge pile of hay right infront of her and she is turning her head to ignore it. (She would normally demolish fresh out of the bag hay in a flash). I don't know whether I should encourage her to get up and move or leave her to rest?

Going to be a long night I think :(

I know everyone is asleep now lol, but I am staying up a bit longer to monitor Frankie. I went and packed my case and in the entire time I don't think she moved. I just prodded her to get up and rustled my hand in her hay and she started nibbling some hay, then found her piece of carrot and started on that, so a little bit happier with her than I was half an hour ago!

So tired but don't want to sleep!

Only just seen this. Mottle just slept and slept after his dental ga. Then he suddenly got up, hopped over to some brambles and started munching away.

Lots of recovery vibes for Frankie and relaxing ones for you.

I realise this is a bit late to post but hey ho.

Thank you tulsi xxx I stayed up with her until gone 2am in the end, she produced a small pile of bumbles so I was happy enough to sleep. Found a bigger pile of bumbles this morning and she was still interested in hay when it was rustled near her. I got to Dublin and fell fast asleep :lol: My OH is under instruction to keep giving her a fresh handful of hay and bit of kale little and often. Fresh out the bag seems to spark an interest. Fingers crossed she will be much perkier, it is hard not being able to see her. If only he had FaceTime or Skype I would get him to put the camera on her so I could see for myself that she is ok! :oops::lol:

Awwww. I know how you feel. I hope Dublin goes well and that little Frankie recovers just fine.

Back