• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dribbling bunny

bunnykin

Young Bun
I've noticed recently that my little bun Simba is sometimes dribbling from his mouth. His teeth were checked about 6 weeks ago by vet (just because I was at the vets) and she said they looked fine (though acknowledged she couldn't do a full dental exam unless he was anaesthetised). Over 18 months ago he did have a dental rasping though.
He eats plenty of hay and seems quite happy. Right now he's sleeping across from me, gently moving his jaw (not grinding teeth) and very relaxed - and dribbling. He's around 7-8 yrs old. Is dribbling always an indicator of tooth problems?

Dribbling can be for several reasons. The most common is dental but partial facial paralysis is also a possibility or there are conditions that lead to over salivating

Dribbling can be for several reasons. The most common is dental but partial facial paralysis is also a possibility or there are conditions that lead to over salivating

Thank you for replying. I'm going to monitor him for a few days and see how often he does this.

(Btw, I used to have a lovely little bunny called Florence too!)

I'd take bunny to the vet asap, they'll be able to diagnose the problem and let you know if it's his teeth bothering him or not. We had a bunny with dental problems and he dribbled when his mouth got sore.

Hopefully it's an easy fix!

I'd take bunny to the vet asap, they'll be able to diagnose the problem and let you know if it's his teeth bothering him or not. We had a bunny with dental problems and he dribbled when his mouth got sore.

Hopefully it's an easy fix!

Thank you. I'll take him this week. He really does seem quite happy though. I've just given him a treat and my fingers came away from his mouth wet. He's playing now. I hate him being ill and just dread leaving him at the vet for anything involving an anaesthetic. He gets terribly upset when we go to the vets. I'll ring vets on Monday and make an appointment with my preferred vet, as I'd rather he be seen by a vet I have confidence in (she did a bladder flush last year and was so understanding and let me sit with him while she sedated him prior to the procedure - she'd also taken the time to read his notes from his previous vet where he'd had his dental and coped very badly with the anaesthetic, so she used a different anaesthetic and he coped much better).

Back