• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New here/names needed!

FrenchBunny

Young Bun
Hi everyone,

I'm new here.

I've just bought two rabbits (one's a Standard Lop and the other is a Himalayan x). They're brothers, 14 weeks old and I plan to get them both neutered (so please no bad comments about keeping two males together).

They both need names so if anyone has any original ones that would be great! They're going to be kept inside with us: they'll be confined when we're out and allowed to run free anytime that we're at home. They both seem pretty happy atm, the first thing they both did was eat! :)

Excuse the (6ft) box - proper cage is coming tomorrow.

Both adorable :love:! What kind of names do you like? I prefer mine to be really different and weird, but I know a lot of people like the typical Fluffy/Toffee/Fudge names. The trend for 'proper' names is becoming much stronger - names like Stephen, Matt etc. Or do you want something that suits their colouring/personality more? Or maybe some that match in a pair? There's so much scope :D If you can get some pictures of their faces and upload them that'd be helpful, I think a lot of the naming comes from their faces :D What are their personalities like? I quite like Finn/Finley for one of them, they have a colouring that suits the name!

Keeping two neutered males should be okay. You may want to separate them until after the operation though to prevent them fighting, or at least be prepared to in case they fight. Hopefully all will be okay but it pays to be prepared :D It's great that you're going to get them neutered though.

What kind of housing do you have for them? Puppy pens or whelping pens are a good size if you find you need to upgrade (I personally love this as it looks quite cool compared to most rabbit housing!: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Heavy-Dut..._Steamers_Cookers_PP&var=&hash=item3387fd545d, or the smaller version here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Heavy-Dut...tchen_Steamers_Cookers_PP&hash=item5d4197c120). There's some great ideas here if you ever need it http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?304613-Indoor-Housing :D

Hi :)

They're both very nosy and have been climbing all over me/the laptop :lol:. I love them already! :love:

I have bought just a standard indoor cage for them (it was the largest one I could find online) but they should only be in it for a few hours a day. For the rest of the time they'll probably be sitting with us on the sofa and roaming around.

Planning to take them to the Vets next weekend to get their Mixy and VHD jabs.

Here's some more photos:

Thank you! They are both very chilled.

Will do ralphus maximus! Was planning to cut lots of large holes in the top and sides and then taping it up for tonight.

Slightly concerned about one of them though, very sneezy :( Hopefully it's nothing and will pass.

Thank you! They are both very chilled.

Will do ralphus maximus! Was planning to cut lots of large holes in the top and sides and then taping it up for tonight.

Slightly concerned about one of them though, very sneezy :( Hopefully it's nothing and will pass.

That's a very cute photo!! :love:

Where did you get the bunnies from? The sneezing doesn't sound too good. Is it accompanied by any discharge? May be worth a vet visit tomorrow morning for a health check and vaccines (if they are both well enough).

They may well chew their way out of that box... so I would keep them somewhere where if they do get out they will be safe ;)

That's a very cute photo!! :love:

Where did you get the bunnies from? The sneezing doesn't sound too good. Is it accompanied by any discharge? May be worth a vet visit tomorrow morning for a health check and vaccines (if they are both well enough).

They may well chew their way out of that box... so I would keep them somewhere where if they do get out they will be safe ;)

I got them from Pets at Home (que frowns). I did look for a good while for any Lop breeders near me but couldn't find any. I'm planning to take them both to the Vet next week or Monday if they can fit me in so will get it checked out then. He's fine in himself and his eyes are bright and clear, he's just sneezing and his nose is slightly crusty, although there is no discharge. The other rabbit is totally fine and hasn't sneezed once. Really hope it's nothing serious. :cry:

Probably best to get them to the vet for a health check, it sounds like one could have some kind of nasal infection, like pasteurella. Might need some antibiotics.

They both look beautiful. I would suggest Nainital and Pangot for their names, they are two areas in the foothills of the Himalayas in India. :)

Aw they are very cute. I always like Harvey for white rabbits.

Harvey and Kinkle (if you were ever a Sabrina fan haha - as soon as I hear the name Harvey that's what I think of!)

Or how about Friedrich and Kurt (Freddie for short) - the two boys off the sounds of music.

Back