• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Is this normal?

stacieevans

Young Bun
Hello :)

I just wanted someone to confirm something for me..

My boy is most comfortable when he's in my room, so when i come in from work at 5 i pick him up and bring him upstairs :)
I try and take him down often so he can go to the loo and have a munch! I was just thinking, how long can a rabbit go without going to the toilet? He's very clean and will only do it in his cage (no accidental nuggets on the floor), do all rabbits hold it in?

I have been told by my OH parents that sometimes he wont move from one comfy space all day! Surely he needs the toilet?
So, I don't really want to keep moving him when he gets comfy with me in my room.. ( there also isn't any room for his cage upstairs ), can i just leave him all snuggled in his spot for ages?

Thaaaanks! ( sorry, i'm not really clued up )

He should always have access to his toilet as he has no way of letting you know should he be desperate. A lot of rabbits would go where they were so you are lucky in that he is so clean. Holding on to his wee, though, could cause illnesses such as bladder sludge or stones, maybe cystisis etc. Someone else may be able to verify this but it sounds likely to me. I would not advise him spending long periods away from his litter tray.

He should always have access to his toilet as he has no way of letting you know should he be desperate. A lot of rabbits would go where they were so you are lucky in that he is so clean. Holding on to his wee, though, could cause illnesses such as bladder sludge or stones, maybe cystisis etc. Someone else may be able to verify this but it sounds likely to me. I would not advise him spending long periods away from his litter tray.

Okay, thank you :) I just didnt know, as he normally goes long periods without going :?

Timing would be important also, say you had just seen him go, so you could take him upstairs for an hour and you should be safe?

You could try taking a litter tray up for him, maybe put some of his droppings / soiled bedding & some hay in it and see if he would use that while upstairs?

You could try taking a litter tray up for him, maybe put some of his droppings / soiled bedding & some hay in it and see if he would use that while upstairs?

I agree that they need access all the time.
Neither of mine have had any issues using 2 litter trays. I put a bin liner with rolled up towel on top, on the access side just to protect the carpet from spills.

If I bring my Stu in for a cuddle and he need to go he digs either me or the blanket we are on so I let him out and he hops all the way round the garden back to the hutch to go :lol: it's too cute to see :D

But he has also used a second litter tray in the house when he was an indoor bun :D

Back