PDA

View Full Version : Best place to buy 4 foot hutch for use as house bunny bed/hide hole....

UsagiYojimbo
03-01-2014, 06:01 PM
.... without encouraging the sale of tiny hutches!?

would take the wire mesh door off/leave open constantly.

Needs to be ground level for disabled bun to hop in and out of easily.

To be used as a bolt hole/hidey safe house/bed - will be full of hay and fleece floor

Any ideas?

Aly&Poppy<3
03-01-2014, 06:05 PM
eBay (for used hutches) and freecycle spring to mind, maybe a Facebook selling site (although make sure they don't come with a rabbit too!)

Or if you're okay with DIY you could knock one together yourself :D

Jojo123
03-01-2014, 06:19 PM
You could have a look on Amazon for pet houses, they have different houses with the entrance at floor level and do outdoor and indoor types :wave:

thumps_
03-01-2014, 08:02 PM
You could make your own from a cardboard box & cut bunny shaped entrances into it.
They like 3 holes for a hidey hole.;)

Neill
03-01-2014, 08:09 PM
we have bought a few of the poppy pen hutches that are from pets at home, they are not good enough for an outside hutch but indoors are perfect . we have lined the floor and lapped up the sides with lino.

55 from memory, flat pack assembly for easy transport.

http://www.petsathome.com/wcsstore/ConsumerDirectStorefrontAssetStore/images/products/large/22470.jpg

Hugo's There
04-01-2014, 11:43 AM
.... without encouraging the sale of tiny hutches!?

would take the wire mesh door off/leave open constantly.

Needs to be ground level for disabled bun to hop in and out of easily.

To be used as a bolt hole/hidey safe house/bed - will be full of hay and fleece floor

Any ideas?

I had the same issue so decided to go for a cat kennel. There are some great ones on ebay. I am really happy with ours :)

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

tulsi
04-01-2014, 01:28 PM
You could make your own from a cardboard box & cut bunny shaped entrances into it.
They like 3 holes for a hidey hole.;)

I have noticed the three entrance thing with my lot. I wonder if that is why they spend so much time outside their hutch (only one entrance)?

thumps_
04-01-2014, 02:26 PM
I have noticed the three entrance thing with my lot. I wonder if that is why they spend so much time outside their hutch (only one entrance)?

It's to do with multiple escape routes from predators being safer. Both Thumper & Benjie surprised me.
Both are completely safe indoors at ground level behind locked doors & closed windows, but neither will stay downstairs on their own when the "night life" comes out. They can hear, & possibly smell predators too close for comfort. Benjie is so nervous that I have to leave the bedroom door open so he can move out to the landing if he feels threatened upstairs.:shock: This is despite all sorts of hiding places in the bedroom.

Thumper had a day time hutch & run at the beginning. He started to behave very oddly, & wouldn't move from the bottom of the run whatever the weather. All became clear when I saw a cat stalking him using the blind spot made by the hutch for cover. Changing the orientation of the hutch & run solved the issue.

They really hate having a predator close & above them too. A bit of "catproofing" mesh overlapping the hutch roof might help. It's a case of a deterrent without injuring the cat/fox.

I can't say exactly why your buns do this, only make suggestions about what rattles my own.