• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Off his food

noah

New Kit
My Rabbit Noah is a 2.5(ish) year old rabbit. He had a tooth issue (I'm not sure what as i was away at uni when this happened) a month or so ago. Since then he has been drinking an awful lot of water for him. Yesterday I noticed that he was not himself. He was just sat facing the wall of his cage near his water bottle. My Mum took him to the vet today and they have given him something to get his bowls moving. they said his temp was a little low but nothing to be concerned about and that his tummy was a little bit hard so they have gave us some emergancy care food to feed him. I have read online that rubbing his tummy helps and i did that for about 15 mins (until he wouldnt let me) and then put him back and he tried to go to the toilet but nothing happened. Is there anything else i can do as Im really worried. :/

I just went and checked on him and he is now laid down and is making strange noises as if he is trying to burp (i know that rabbits cant) and i know that that cant be a good sign :/

Has he eaten any of the emergency care food and is he pooing? And do you know if they gave him pain relief as well as the medication to get his gut moving?

My bunny has a lot of dental issues and they can come back quite regularly, but recently had GI stasis where he wasn't eating, pooing and was very lethargic, also grinding his teeth in pain

I would say if he is not eating the emergency care food or pooing or you're worried in general, take him back to the vets

Hope Noah feels better soon!

[e] Does it sound like a really loud gurgly tummy too? Alfie had that, it was as loud as a humans tummy rumble!

well the emergency care food we have, we have to syringe feed him it, which he has eaten (and is an angel when i have to do it) so he has eaten it. but he still hasnt pooped yet. and he is very lethargic and is currently laid on his straw (which he never does he always lays where he can see you in the kitchen.) Im going to go and feed him his emergency food again in half an hour and massage his tummy to see if that makes the cogs start turning :/

It does sound like a tummy trouble, could be gas, and obstruction or stasis but that can be because of dental problems too, where they are in pain so don't eat and then everything sort of stops really.

Keep a close eye on him but I would suggest seeing a vet today, especially if he isn't pooing. It is good that he is syringe feeding though, Alfie hated it!

I cant take him to the vet now as there is not one walking distance and my mum cant take any time off work as she did this morning she will have already had to work through her lunch break. He seems okay when he is out of his cage and being fussed with, but he is the same when i put him back in his cage. When he was at the vet this morning the vet said to take him back tomorrow morning if he is no better.

Is the tummy noise a bad sign or does it mean that it might be moving?

He had something to relax his tummy, something to get things moving and i think a pain killer (not sure on the last one) this morning. :/ im really worried about him, he seems fine after i have fed him and then he deteriorates after the food :/

should i increase the times that i feed him from every other hour to every hour? but i dont want to increase a blockage if there is one? as you can probably tell im quite worried :s

although there was not one this morning when he was taken to the vet. (a blockage)

Do you know the name of the pain killer he was given ?

Can you call the Vet to ask. If he was given a pain killer called 'Vetergesic' that would account for his lethargy. Vetergesic is an opiate and causes drowsiness.

If he does not produce any poo within the next few hours he will need to go back to the Vet this afternoon/evening.

Try to have him out of his cage as much as possible. Exercise will help his gut motility.

I'm not sure if he was given one to start with, but i just think that it otuld make sense to :s but im going to keep him out of the cage and massage him to try and pass it. It sounds (from googling) that it is gas, so hopefully massageing it will help him pass it :s the thing is though he is trained to only go in his cage so i do have to put him back to see if that will make him go or not.

thank you everyone for your hlep so far :)

Hi I'm so sorry to hear that your bunny is poorly.

My bun gets this occasionally and it can very quickly be a life or death situation, so my advice would be to plan ahead now, book a lift to the vet for this afternoon/early evening as the chances are you will absolutely need it.

Good luck

Back